Asahi Linux

asahilinux.org/ it is a good option even fedoralooking into to being it on38, i thik for those want m1hardware with opensource software it is a best option

Asahi seems to still be in alpha, and PG doesn’t list alpha software as far as I’m aware.

3 Likes

I don’t think Asahi should be mentioned on the guide at least until it sees a stable release, especially considering it would replace a desktop OS that you can make reasonably private for many threat models.

3 Likes

Rejecting this for now because of its alpha status.

In addition to what’s been said in the replies above, which are correct, Asahi Linux has caused problems and has been unstable in my own testing, so I’m not yet comfortable recommending it. If you want Linux on Apple Silicon I think running a Linux VM is the way to go, but I would not buy an Apple Silicon Mac at all for the sole purpose of running Linux.

3 Likes

no you have to install edge kernal and i find it is stable in kernal compile and watching youtube videos as gpu driver has been merged in asahi edge(rust kernel driver by asahi lina) kernel not yet upstream as far as i know but it is smooth as butter in my testing.

i think it can be mentioned with caution so viewers can look into that they can use linux in mac m1 m2 after some months.

I did read this some recently:

It may be an option, but I think it would still have rough edges: The Ultimate Linux ARM64 Workstation

It is still proprietary hardware.

That Asahi is so famous among Linux users is kinda hillarious, our goal is to make people be able to protect their data better. But I dont think many people buying a mac would switch to Linux, it makes no real sense. Just people buying that hardware to install Linux on it.

So apples win increases. We still cant be sure if they dont have hardware tracking integrated, just like Inten ME and others. Of course this applies to all hardware.

And also Asahi exists only because Apple allows it. There is no help at all, but they could break it any time soon if they see too many macos users switching.

I don’t think that’s necessarily a knock against Asahi once it’s stable enough. The reason people are excited about it is because the Apple M1 and M2 chips have had great performance, and presumably Linux users want a piece of the action. Also, there is a subset of Linux users that are more tinkers and hobbyists, not so much interested in privacy and security.

That being said, as it pertains to privacy, I believe that a Fedora remix of Asahi is in the works. If that happens, that may be the best option to recommend for someone who wants to move entirely away from macOS on new laptops. If it gets upstreamed into Fedora Workstation, then it becomes just an extra note to add under the Fedora listing if that.

2 Likes

No but this is Privacy Guides. I would always formulate it like "If you own a Macbook for whatever reason, but want Privacy, there is Asahi Linux which even runs on the new M1/M2 models.

I would not advertise that hardware in any scentence, like Linux people do. Its still proprietary, nothing is officially supported even though that company is among the richest of this Planet, they dont care and so should we.

Maybe if you get a cheap Darknet deal, but no way will I go to a shop and buy that stuff for real.

you know my company is actually doing that making we have almost 30-40 now of systems as a arm server

yes windows is still crash many times and so on so if it is working it is ok and for 3 months i have seen systems running linux without a issue.

what is a open hardware btw??
purism or system76 it is really hard to get them outside eu and us so dont be like that
you cant have hardware right now which is open running coreboot so on
what every one was doing install linux on a windows system which have uefi which is actually insecure in terms of security mac systems have better boot loader according to (hector M)asahi dev kernel

now fedora is working on a asahi-fedora remix as a spin i think it will be supported as a default arm build of the fedora in near future but now it need 16M kernel

Yes you can. It may be expensive and less powerful, but there is lots of coreboot hardware.

So there are a few manufacturers, that are for sure nicer than Apple, actually care about Linux, ship pretty modern Hardware and struggle with Coreboot.

Chromebooks, if they wouldnt have the shitty keyboards, unrepairable designt and hillarious RAM and storage, would be a pretty good option too.

Old Laptops are of course not that good of a tip, but I have to say my Thinkpad T430 runs very well with all the stuff I do (apart from Gaming, Virtual Machines or Video editing).

I understand the “Linux on M1 hype” and I could also imagine getting one. But at the same time, its crazy that this works but its a weird touch on the Apple hype, which stays to be an Apple hype. I would not feel comfortable with promoting that on a privacy site.

Funny, do they contribute to the maintainer?

cant neglect its appealing

Coreboot is good but apple boot mgr is also good really good if you want to have arm linux system.
And now even linux asahi runs faster than macos accounting to the test that asahi have done.

What is good about it? The firmware literally has access over EVERYTHING, can read RAM, access the internet and do anything else. It always runs in the background its crazy. Coreboot really is the only option

6 Likes

The firmware literally has access over EVERYTHING, can read RAM, access the internet and do anything else. It always runs in the background its crazy. Coreboot really is the only option

For anyone coming to this thread because of Fedora Asahi Remix getting an official release, the above quote is crazy levels of FUD. You could maybe make that argument for Intel ME on a vPro CPU and not be too conspiracy-theory but not fucking Apple Silicon.

The truth is that no, “the firmware” cannot do all those scary-sounding things, just read this from the people who are actually working on Asahi and have a deep understanding of how Apple Silicon/ARM Macs work.

4 Likes