Will PG recommend a laptop?

Post linked below had the relevant discussion.

I also agree with either framework or dell latitude/precision. Just adding some other context here because I love yapping.

Fedora is a first class citizen in Framework, Ubuntu is what Dell usually support out of the box. I own a framework, and can assure everything works out of the box in fedora, including fingerprint, webcam, etc. Amazing experience. (Every day I become more of a framework shill :laughing: )

So Dell vPro line usually has very bad specs for the price. If budget is not a constraint, they make sense. But, remember that you WILL need to change laptops once they stop shipping firmware updates for them. This is where I feel framework is an easier recommendation to make (again keeping in mind you said budget is not a problem), since you can always upgrade the platform. Have seen older versions of framework become entirely new laptops by just switching the platform and sometimes RAM (ddr4 from ddr3 for some intel and amd chips). This is unlike dell, where you WILL have to buy a new laptop.

Libreboot is useless for security, Coreboot is a broken approach. (Please read this)

No one has found a way to disable ME. Most of them are waiting on Purism to crack it, and even Purism hasnā€™t disabled ME. Anyone selling disabled ME laptops is either not providing a clear definition of what they actually disable, or is a snake oil salesman. Why do you wanna disable ME though?

Lol, proprietary is not inherently bad. You probably have a phone with hundreds of proprietary parts/code snippets. Your laptop, your infrastructure, your internet runs on patents, proprietary, closed-source software. Part of it also runs on Open Source. Neither actually matters for security.

Why are so many people in the privacy community obsessed with Intel ME, firmware, and other proprietary tech? Is everyoneā€™s threat model a state level actor that can infiltrate Intel, discover a 0-day worth millions of dollars, exploit it on the regular, while no one knows? Please do threat modelling (this is what a proper threat model analysis looks like) for yourself.

3 Likes

This is the best laptop Iā€™ve been able to find without costing too much.

There are a few ThinkPads listed to have been tested with Fedora over at lenovo.com/linux. Though, a thing to note is that these are very expensive P Series laptops. Also a majority of laptops are tested with Ubuntu versions over there as well.

ThinkPad E series laptops are relatively cheap, and reach HSI 3 level for security : LVFS: HSI Device