why Safari only suggested for iOS?

Really sorry it must have been discussed before…

I just noticed that your stance on iOS browsers is sort of “it doesn’t matter, they’re all WebKit based”.
Well doesn’t it matter in regards of cookies, cache, history and other privacy related item’s management?

Today I bounced into this article for example:

And I know that Mullvad browser is available for iOS, but even if WebKit based shouldn’t it be way better than plain Safari? And I’m pretty sure also others must offer more trustworthy crumb trail management compared to Safari.

Thanks for any explanation

2 Likes

Please read this detailed response by a Tor Browser/Mullvad Browser developer:

Quoted from the same GitHub reply, the long and short of it is this:

the reality is that we have to wait for Mozilla to port Firefox to the iOS platform before we can do anything here.

2 Likes

Is there any possibility of chromium coming to ios after EU?

@jonah any work yk that is being carried out for this?

I mean google wouldn’t be sleeping on the opportunuty to grab Europe Browser market.

I edited my original post, the linked article wasn’t the right one:

What has it to do with what I wrote?
I understand that having WebKit showed down your throat is a serious limitation but I’m guessing that browsing history and cookies must be detached from the web engine. Or is perhaps my guess too misinformed?
Thanks

It has to do with this specific line that you wrote:

I know that Mullvad browser is available for iOS

As for your other question, I’ll defer to the thoughts of other community members who are more versed in this department, as I do not use iOS as my main mobile OS.

1 Like

To be straightforward, Mullvad Browser isn’t available on Android or iOS.

2 Likes

I misunderstood that, thank you.
But why the iOS privacy guide browsers section doesn’t list Brave as an option at all, which has an integrated ad block?

1 Like

I think the reason might be that you’re essentially trusting both Apple and Brave with your data if you choose to use a WebKit browser that is not Safari. There are also other options for ad blocking in Safari or through DNS, not sure if those are worth exploring.

3 Likes

@ph00lt0 @dngray @SkewedZeppelin @jerm

1 Like

Unaware of this. But also not following as much I am not an iOS user.

1 Like

https://issues.chromium.org/issues/40254930

1 Like

Google was already working on chrome for iOS a couple months ago.
Probably not that easy to do.

I believe that both Mozilla and Google have already been working on iOS versions of their respective browsers based on their own browser engines.

I was (and am) excited to see Apple and others being pushed to open up their OS to alternative browser engines, however I am concerned about an unintended/unanticipated consequence. It seems possible this could backfire and instead of leading to more browser diversity, it could go the other way, and result in Chrome (or even just Chromium more broadly) getting even closer to a browser Monopoly than they already are, give Google more power than they already have to shape the direction of the web as a whole.

2 Likes
  • apple & google in bead for the search engine thing :skull:

I am pretty sure there are 2 main reasons for this :

1. All browsers are, at the moment required to use the WebKit browser engine used by Safari. So all browsers are exactly rendering pages the same way under the hood on iOS. This is changing as far as I know as EU is forcing Apple to drop that requirement though.

2. Browser extensions are really only available with Safari on iOS. Even if Chromium comes to iOS I highly doubt they would support an extension store. Firefox seems more likely to support that (as they support extensions on their Android browser).

No wonder the development is slow ,…