Which *paid* VPN service do you use?

Which paid VPN service do you use?
  • ProtonVPN
  • IVPN
  • Mullvad (incl. indirectly through Tailscale or Mozilla)
  • AirVPN
  • Windscribe
  • I do not pay for a VPN
  • I do pay for a VPN but not one on this list
0 voters

Note 0: Please do not vote for a VPN if you are using only the free version, this will skew the statistics.

Note 1: If you pay for more than 1, please select whichever you consider to be your ‘primary’ or favorite.

Note 2: If you like, state the primary reasons you chose the VPN you chose, and state your biggest complaint or frustration about the VPN you chose.

1 Like

I technically chose ProtonVPN first when I purchased Proton Unlimited during the beginning of my privacy journey. My main desktop OS was Windows then.

I fully moved to Linux about a year and a half ago and used the ProtonVPN Linux GUI app for a few weeks. I then purchased Mullvad for 6 months because I was frustrated with the lack of WireGuard support on the ProtonVPN GUI app and other features that I now take for granted with Mullvad (e.g., split tunneling). Not being comfortable with using a CLI or WireGuard configs also informed this decision.

I have been re-upping my Mullvad account ever since. I was holding out for the possibility of going back to ProtonVPN (and not having to pay for Mullvad separately as a Proton Unlimited user) since they announced the rewrite of their Linux GUI app. However, after I read that their new app still lacks WireGuard support and split tunneling, I immediately re-upped my Mullvad account for 12 months.

As a final note, I chose Mullvad for the poll because its GUI app for Linux is super solid and easy to use. I don’t have any big complaints about it; I would like for the app to run on Wayland natively, but I would categorize that as a small complaint (the Mullvad team is also well aware and working on it).

3 Likes

I only trust Mullvad, but they lack split tunneling on MacOS.

Proton works like trash for me and I don’t trust them in general.

1 Like

What about Windscribe?

They have:

• No logs (claimed)
  • Diskless servers (claimed)
  • Multi-hop connections
  • Port forwarding
  • P2P friendly
  • Monero accepted for payment
  • Anonymous registration
  • F-Droid client
  • Linux app

It is actually being considered, but there are still a few things holding up a recommendation.