Which browser do you prefer and why?

It gets the job done.
I see too many people just routing Chrome or Opera or some shit via Orbot, which is waaaaaaay worse.
Fenix has no letterboxing so it canā€™t protect screen/density, but everything else is largely fine.
Test it out using TZP: TZP

• Firefox 131 with Brace I get one failure
  • Mull 131 I get two failures
  • Tor Browser Desktop & Android 13.5.6 I get no failures
3 Likes

Is it possible for Chromium, an open source project, to get anti-trusted???

Ah, so the problem is control of the project. Makes sense, although I still prefer companies driving critical, large-codebase, end user facing projects. FOSS maintainers tend to fork and split too eagerly for my taste.

Makes perfect sense, I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

Am I correct in thinking that something like Mulch, Brave, or Vanadium (or even chrome) paired with a decent VPN would be better setup for resisting fingerprinting and having security on Android if Tor network access is not a priority for the person?

I think they meant Google gets into anti-trust lawsuits, and thus divests (:eyes: ) itself of Chromium project. I think there is talk of Android being taken away from Google if the US courts put their minds to it (Although it seems unlikely to me).

5 Likes

The source is up there available to everyone. So, without Google and thereā€™s no one who would touch the source despite itā€™s being the most secure browser on earth, due to their ideology with inferior alternatives thatā€™s probably needed to rewrite from scratch, I think just let it be :joy:

What about LibreWolf on Linux?

Librewolf is falling apart: Compared librewolf.cfg with arkenfox user.js Ā· Issue #1809 Ā· arkenfox/user.js Ā· GitHub

1 Like

I migrated to hardend Brave, from Vanadium, because of the content filtering and ability to save bookmarks.
And because I wanted to use something different.
I use it for everything.
For BBB I need MS Edge, but ill try to run it on Vanadium.
Im on GrapheneOS :slight_smile:

I use brave, for me the forgetful browsing feature is the most convenient way to role a browser. It forgets anything besides on the websites i whitelisted. That is just symphony. For research stuff I use mullvad browser alongside it.

4 Likes

I just use Brave for everything Android and Windows. I can not be bothered to trouble myself with Arkenfox any longer. I always forgot what the niche use cases of Mullvad and Tor are so I need to re-read the knowledge base for like the tenth time now which I also can not be bothered to do at the moment, so I just use incognito mode on Brave.

Also Firefox is kind of slow on me for some reason, especially with Arkenfox enabled.

1 Like

And thats exactly how things should beā€¦ well done @ph00lt0

Very much so @archerallstars. There is not so many truly OSS project I personally trust.

Personally, I use Firefox on all devices that I have; on mobile, itā€™s either Firefox Focus or DDG. I do not use my phone long enough to need anything more than that, itā€™s only there to look for some links that my friends have sent me or me looking up something on the fly. I believe itā€™s good enough for my casual usage on phone.

On my computer (all three OS): I use firefox with uBO for mast part, it just works almost everywhere.

If you are the average person, Tor wonā€™t be necessary especially with the reduced speeds. Mullvad Browser is geared more towards average person threat models without sacrificing browsing speed. Also note that you can use any VPN with it.

When you use Mullvad Browser, you are essentially switching to a two-browser model. For example, Brave/Firefox for logging into sites and Mullvad for browsing sites that donā€™t require login and you maintain anonymity. It can take some time getting used to switching back and forth between browsers during browsing sessions.

What do people think about Beta versions of web browsers. These are the examples Iā€™m referring to:

There are even ā€œNightly Buildsā€ available.

I ask this question because Iā€™ve never seen it addressed anywhere in PrivacyGuides history.

I know Beta Apps arenā€™t complete and maybe insecure but then again, Google uses beta versions of Linux for their servers.

Iā€™m just worried that Beta web browsers are sending back telemetry which may be for the noble purpose of fixing bugs but this may also mean that Beta web browsers are sending back personal user data as well.

How? If thatā€™s possible, is that mean someone could get filed from using FOSS?

In this context, why is Chromium not a true FOSS? Is there anything wrong in the sourceā€™s license that could convince you to believe thatā€™s the case?

@archerallstars I dont want to start wars here, so will not go into details here.

Thereā€™s no point in beta browsers unless youā€™re a developer and interested in doing some testing. Also not sure why you included Chrome as an option. Just because itā€™s beta doesnā€™t make it any less privacy invasive. The same criteria for browsers applies to the beta versions, and according to PG Chrome does not meet that criteria.

1 Like

I tend to, opt-in to beta testing most of the time. But not with web browsers.

With browsers I stick to the stable branch as a daily driver and use nightly for testing and to keep up with what features and fixes are being working on, what is changing, and so on.

One reason you may not want to run beta or nightly browsers (if you use a browser that takes fingerprinting seriously) is you are placing yourself into a much smaller group of users, with a probably somewhat unique fingerprint.

Iā€™m just worried that Beta web browsers are sending back telemetry

Personally, I often opt to enable telemetry or at least manually provide feedback/bug reports with Beta or Alpha/Nightly stuff (if it is open source and I trust the developer). Its a small thing, but I like to at least try to contribute to the development and improvement of the software that I like (and receiving real world feedback is part of the purpose of open beta testing)

Telemetry mostly became a bad word because shitty big tech companies abused it, but it isnā€™t in and of itself bad. Often, as you noted, it is for a useful and noble purpose (making software better). Iā€™m trying to re-calibrate my own mindset about Telemetry to reflect the fact that I have reasonable trust in most of the software I use, and have a shared interest in wanting to improve that software.

2 Likes

Same, nice to know I am not alone ! ^^