What do you think of Proton's growing monopoly?

I’ve a Proton visionary account and with all these new services they are adding it has become very difficult to ignore the centralization I’m bringing upon myself.

It’s not that there are no alternatives. For ex. Skiff looks good and I’m wondering if I should split my data between these services, to avoid just one company dominating the “privacy industry” and owning my life.

I would like to hear more opinions to understand if I’m being paranoid.

My 2 cents is:

It’s a business. No one is forced to use all their products, it’s only centralized if the user chooses. They’re trying to bring security and privacy to the masses, they will never cater to hardcore privacy enthusiasts. Their products are meant for the general users to get off other services with minimal impact to convenience.

If someone needs to (truly) worry about their OPSEC, then they need to handpick their tools based on their personal situation. Their situation has nothing to do with Proton as a company.

3 Likes

Monopoly? Where?
They try to provide a good set of tools and easy ecosystem that is privacy friendly and a good alternative to google. None of that looks like a monopoly to me. But rather a safe choice. I actually hope they will make more apps and features with these standards.

7 Likes

This is a misleading title. There is no monopoly.

You don’t have to use Proton’s services to interact with users of them (in the case of Proton Mail).

You can also export your calendars, contacts, files, and, if you have the pro plan, your emails as well (not directly, but just as you can manipulate any other IMAP email account). I’m not sure if you can export your Proton Pass vault, but presumably if not, it’s coming.

They aren’t trying to monopolise any market, just doing their best to create products that fit the needs of it.

You can use any of Proton’s products, and choose not to use the rest of them.

2 Likes