Vanadium (GrapheneOS Web Browser)

such as?

I think we’re ignoring the elephant in the room here, which is that Vanadium is only available on a single operating system. Coupled with the fact that it is missing powerful privacy and content blocking features, I don’t really see where Vanadium fits in here, and I would argue that Brave on GrapheneOS still makes sense for most users.

The only real advantage I see here is disabling JIT (even on a per-site basis, neat!), which is not actually relevant to most people for the same reason Lockdown Mode is not actually relevant to most people. If all things were the same it’d be good, but all things are not the same here, Brave is actually significantly better on the privacy front:

I’ll note that my current understanding is that Vanadium scores the same as Chrome on PrivacyTests.org, i.e. significantly worse than Brave. I could be wrong, because PrivacyTests.org does not actually test Vanadium itself, so I don’t have its actual results handy. However, I do have their browser tests running locally now, so I can test Vanadium itself against this and report back here later.

Disabling JIT is not ad/tracker blocking, by the way.

4 Likes