Switch authenticator application

Hello, I have a question about authenticator apps.

I was wondering if there was a simple way to switch from Microsoft Authenticator to another system like Ente Auth? All my tokens for my services are generated on Microsoft Authenticator and I would like to switch to Ente Auth, but that means I have to manually disable 2FA on each service I use, and re-configure it with the new authenticator app, which is a pain to do for every service I use (Discord, Facebook, Reddit, Amazon, …). Plus, is the recovery key linked to the auth app, so even this I’d need to update?

Is there a better solution, or am I going to have an eventful weekend?

Thank you.

1 Like

Export the seeds from Microsoft Authenticator and import them into Ente Auth.

No.

1 Like

Aegis (what I use) seems to need root privileges on Android to import Microsoft Authenticator codes - so Ente may require the same if it can do a direct import. Few root their phones.

You are going to have a fun weekend. Consider backup methods of these codes, such as grabbing screenshots of each, or saving the characters of the code (QR scanner), etc.

4 Likes

Exporting your seeds does not seem to be possible in Microsoft Authenticator.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. Apparently, Microsoft Authenticator does not provide an option to export the secrets to a file. So, I manually disabled/enabled 2FA for each of my accounts to switch app, and it works. It is just a slow and annoying process.

Hopefully the last time for this pain, given Ente Auth (assuming that’s your go to app) supports exports. Good luck.

1 Like

If you want more privacy, instead switching your app, you could use a passkey

Passkeys do not inherently enhance privacy over the combination of a regular password and TOTP as by my understanding. Its primary advantages lie in convenience and security. Additionally, it is important to mention that passkeys represent a relatively new technology and are not yet widely supported by many websites.

I use a Yobikey 5C as a passkey. Everytime I use it to connect I have to :

• Plug the key
  • Write the password I choose for the key

Having my own passkey + the password is to me the best security I can get to access my website.

The cons is not all the websites support it