Strengthening Privacy in Online Services: Exploring the Non-Profit Approach

Hey there, privacy-conscious folks! I wanted to open up a discussion and get your valuable insights on a topic that’s been on my mind. We all know how crucial it is to trust the online services we use, especially when it comes to our privacy. So, here’s a thought-provoking idea: What if more companies, like Proton, Skiff, or Tutanota, followed a non-profit path? How would this impact your level of concern and trust?

Imagine a scenario where these companies transitioned into non-profit organizations. By adopting this framework, they could prioritize privacy and security over profit, ensuring that their mission remains focused on protecting user data. One way to strengthen this commitment is by establishing a board comprising experts in security, cryptography, and governance. This board would act as a safeguard, ensuring that these companies stay true to their privacy-centric principles.

This transition to a non-profit model would also bring about financial transparency, enabling users to have a clearer understanding of how their contributions are used to support the services they rely on. It would provide reassurance that the revenue generated is reinvested in the company’s growth and sustainability, rather than being directed solely towards profit-making.

Moreover, embracing a non-profit structure would safeguard against the risk of these companies being acquired by profit-driven entities that may compromise user privacy for monetary gains. It would reinforce their commitment to privacy, as their legal structures would be designed to prevent any undesirable changes like data mining or compromising user data.

Now, let’s be clear: When we talk about a non-profit approach, it doesn’t mean these companies would stop charging for their services or neglect the well-being of their employees. It simply means that their primary focus would be on protecting user privacy and security, and any revenue generated would be reinvested or reserved for the company’s growth and sustainability.

So, here’s my question to you guys: What are your thoughts on companies embracing a non-profit model and establishing a board to safeguard privacy? Would it alleviate some of your concerns and make you trust these services more? Share your perspectives, concerns, or even alternative ideas! Let’s dive into this conversation and explore the potential of strengthening privacy in online services.

3 Likes

I think there is nothing wrong with companies operating with the goal of making a profit. In fact, this often drives innovation and competitiveness of the company itself, which can lead to better products and services.

However, the issue probably lies in the fact that many consumers are not educated about privacy enough. When people become more aware of the potential risks and value their privacy, they can then seek out and support companies that align with their privacy values.

1 Like

Not profit open source software are usually more private than proprietary software that are free to use.