Starling - has anyone tried out this FLOSS E2EE location sharing app?

Looks really good, surprised I have never heard of this one. No account required, don’t have to self-host.

The first commit was on August 31.

I’d be catious as the development is rapid and every release a lot of serious bugs are squashed. There is no guarantee that the app will still be developed in a year or that I’d wait for it to be matured in general.

Something more personal is that the commits are not signed which is not a very bad thing but still a sign.

But it does look like an interesting project and I hope it will mature!

1 Like

seems its here alongside paralino and some others, It is likely a decent option and checks out alot of what would make it privacy focused. I wouldn’t worry too much especially since it’s actively maintained so its fine.

Even if it goes dark, someone can fork it and continue it…

Oh wow I thought it would have been around longer it’s on the front page of the f-droid website. Maybe they are just excited about it as it fills such a niche.

Especially with things that handle things like tracking your location all the time I’d be a bit wary and wait until someone audits it and until it’s more mature.

There also needs to be a somewhat big community using the project or otherwise it’s very unlikely someone will fork and continue it.

I might have a different threat model though

1 Like

I’m not anti AI and i’m happy to use an AI coded or assisted app.

However the lower barrier to entry means maintainers have less skin in the game and are more likely to abandon a project when they vibe code the next idea.

1 Like