Skiff Mail (Email Provider)

For our next audit, we’re going to work on getting it published and/or getting a letter of attestation.

4 Likes

I just switched from Proton to Skiff, and I want to share my experience.

I downloaded the Skiff Mail app, and I can say that the UX and UI are superior to any other privacy-focused email service apps, but I have some criticism.

1. It would be awesome if the app could update itself or just notify the user with a notification when there is a new version.
  2. I would like to see a different notification implementation that doesn’t rely on a user having Google Play Services installed.

When I registered, I was greeted with $10 worth of credits, which is awesome, but it requires your card information to use them, and I think this is to prevent abuse, so it’s fine. But what’s not fine is that you can only use these credits for the Pro plan.

5 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, these changes all make a lot of sense. Non-Google notifications are very frequently requested.

On credits, that is also right… although credits will soon work with crypto plans, and you can use any wallet to pay for that. You can also use credits on the more expensive Business plan too.

1 Like

@amilich If you guys keep listening to user feedback and focus on privacy, security, and ethics, then you will be miles ahead of Proton. I switched to the Skiff ecosystem completely, and I really believe in you guys. Proton pissed me off enough times over the years that it was time to switch.

3 Likes

Glad you’ve had a good experience! We really do spend a ton of time on community and feedback. If you have any requests, feel free to also add Skiff Feature Requests | Skiff or in the thread.

1 Like

I’m unable to access any skiff services from yesterday. Having to use VPN.

Cloudflare Ray ID : 7d5a6e20db202a98

It would be really beneficial for anonymity if we could use different display name for each alias.

2 Likes

Looking into it

1 Like

@amilich I noticed that I can’t login to web mail with JIT disabled. I have to enable it. JIT is very insecure, and a lot of vulnerabilities come from it. Could you guys take a look at this?

Here is the error message: It looks like there’s a temporary connectivity issue. Please try again in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

And are there any plans for a family plan? That would be cheaper than Proton’s family plan, because that one is costly. I would really like to bring my family from Gmail to Skiff.

1 Like

I created an exception for app.skiff.com to at least restrict it to just the single site that I’m obviously trusting in the first place.

Still I can’t get notifications to work in the PWA anyway. The app doesn’t ask for permission to send notifications at all. I’m hoping they can address the lack of notifications in their Android app ASAP. All it takes is regular polling like something like K9 Mail does.

1 Like

I believe the issue is with webasm usage. What browser are you using? Chromium browsers I do not think this issue exists.

1 Like

The Skiff Pro plan allows up to 6 members and should have very similar or more benefits. It’s also cheaper - $96/year instead of $240!

2 Likes

This is fixed BTW!

1 Like

I noticed it when I used up my credits on the Pro plan. This is pretty amazing functionality.

4 Likes

I use Vanadium, which comes with GrapheneOS. It has a per-site JIT toggle, and JIT is disabled by default to greatly reduce the attack surface and chance of exploitation because of how insecure JIT is.

I think the same would happen when trying to login from Safari with Lockdown mode enabled on iOS.

Ahead-Of-Time (AOT) is a much more secure alternative to Just-In-Time (JIT).

1 Like

Yeah … Thanks for that.

I’m using Vanadium also. Have you managed to get notifications to work if you allow JIT?

1 Like

Blog is out: skiff-crypto is open-source and MIT licensed - Read more. I need to update the date to be today, just realized it was copied from an old blog template.

2 Likes

Hey all, one more update - we’re launching the Skiff Crypto documentation tomorrow too:

We’ll be doing the same for more of our codebase shortly.

If there’s anything I can do regarding questions from the PG team, please let me know.

4 Likes