Share your daily driver computer setup

Not sure if this has changed since your comment but you can actually use Headscale on iOS: iOS - Headscale.

I am sharing my private setup main configuration

1. Macbook
  2. MacOS
2 Likes

Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 3511

Apps I use on a daily basis (excluding the default GNOME apps :

1. Alienware laptop with Intel iGPU and Nvidia dGPU

2. Fedora KDE Wayland

• Beginner-friendly Linux distro recommended by Privacy Guides that Mullvad VPN officially supports
  • No need to disable secure boot to successfully install proprietary Nvidia drivers
  • KDE supports functional[1] fractional scaling out-of-the-box, which I need to comfortably use my laptop
  1. I prefer Flatpaks for almost all apps and use KDE’s Flatpak Permission Settings to restrict broad and unneeded permissions, and force non-gaming apps to use only Wayland.
  • Browsers
    • Firefox
    • Mullvad Browser, with env MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 added to its .desktop file
    • Brave, with #ozone-platform-hint flag set to “Wayland” in brave://flags/
  • Other preferred apps
    • Mullvad VPN
    • Anytype, with --ozone-platform=wayland[2] added to its .desktop file to launch the app in a Wayland window
    • Bottles
    • Heroic Games Launcher, another Electron app that can use --ozone-platform=wayland
    • Gwenview

1. KDE’s implementation of fractional scaling (found in their Display Configuration settings) lets X11 apps running via XWayland to apply scaling themselves, which avoids blurriness. ↩︎

2. Edit: it seems that the --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform flag is not needed (tested using Kwin debug console) ↩︎

I’m just curious about why you chose Alienware as it’s known to be VERY expensive compared to other laptop brands like Acer, HP etc?

Does Alienware offer some kind of unique security for users?

Also, Alienware would never support someone running a Linux distro on their hardware. Even a user running anything non-Windows would receive zero support and may void their warranty… :frowning_face:

It was an extremely misinformed buy. I remember that I chose it because it ranked the highest in aggregate among several articles listing the “best gaming laptops,” which I now know to be affiliate-link-ridden, search-engine-optimized blogspam.

What triggered this purchase was that my laptop before this one did not qualify for an upgrade to Windows 10. As you can probably tell, I was not at all aware about Linux during this time.

No

1 Like

I appreciate your reply!

How’d you get around installing Linux or in fact, any type of non-Windows OS on the Alienware laptop? Surely they do not support the use of Linux and they actively discourage it right?

I mean, an Alienware laptop is effectively just a Dell with copious RGB attached, it’s just a sub-brand of Dell. Should run linux just fine (assuming you install the nvidia drivers) and there have been projects in the past to even get the RGB controllable from within linux

2 Likes

Good News, I think doing this manually is or soon will be unnecessary:

Starting with version 121, Firefox defaults to Wayland instead of XWayland and does not require any configuration. Older versions of Firefox support opting into Wayland mode via an environment variable($ MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 firefox

1 Like

Laptop HP dont know model number but it is i5 8th gen

OS - Xubuntu

Mostly prefer native deb/appimages packages over snap or flatpak

Use firefox only

edge for microsoft reward purpose only

other thing i use adguard home for dns available on snapstore

keepass appimage

ente auth for 2fa authenticator

freetube as youtube client

1 Like
  1. Desktop, built it myself around 2018 for gaming. If your going to game on a PC there is a lot more bang for your buck building it yourself.
  2. Windows 10 IOT - mostly out of convenience. My home PC is typically used for gaming, and windows is still king when it comes to that. Most of my professional work is done on a work laptop.
  3. Putty (for pi-hole), Plex Media Server (and the -arr suite of tools for automation), Bitwarden.

It is a PWA, right?

Yes on desktop for mobile there app is available as I can run it from browser so I prefer this over offline one