RethinksDNS + Orbot and VPN or just VPN

Hi everyone,

I would like to know which is the best configuration between configuring RethinksDNS or only using a VPN.

At the moment I’m using Proton VPN and Mullvad’s private DNS, but I’m wondering if it would be better to configure RethinkDNS (Mullvad’s private DNS) + Orbot to configure and Proton VPN.

Using Rethink will allow me to access all my network traffic, route my email applications through Orbot and still use a VPN to browse the internet.

Which is better, a VPN and private DNS set up or using Rethinks + Orbot and VPN?

Thanks in advance.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Really no one?

If you use a VPN you normally cannot use a private DNS

I normally can’t or shouldn’t, because I use Proton VPN and Mullvad’s DNS enabled.

• If you’re going to use a VPN why would you use another VPN providers DNS? I could see using Quad9/DNS0 but not another typical DNS.
  • If you use Rethink as your Wireguard client you lose the ability to easily switch between many locations/servers of your VPN provider unless you tediously add them all by hand and keep them updated.

I’d strongly recommend instead keeping Orbot in one profile and your VPN of choice in another profile. Which you put in main and which in work is your choice.

1 Like

What I want to know is whether it’s better to have the same profile:

Rethink to have VPN + Orbot + private DNS or VPN + private DNS only.

Maybe also a question of speed…

For the moment I’ve only deactivated private DNS, I only use VPN