Remove iVerify Basic

Why should this tool be removed?

Trail of Bits the owner of Iverify seems to make some strange claims on Android security together with one of their customers big evil Palentir.

Source:

What I get from it the apps were already known in 2017 and discussed by by the time Copperhead, now GrapheneOS and the CEO of Trail of Bits on at the time Twitter, now X. The app is not included in the latest firmware of Pixel. And now trial of bits ceo claims this discovery. The app surely is horribly insecure but given it is disabled by default it will not run without someone having physical access to the device on beforehand.

The Android version of iVerify does not show you any information of what is detected, not even what is the indicator until you upload your system logs to them. This was already a red flag to me.

The IPhone version does not run in the background as indicated on the website of PG already. This does make it hardly any more useful than just running MVT (whether through iMazing or not)

TLDR I see no reason to keep this recommendsation as it doesnā€™t add anything beneficial to our users and the company seems to make some FUD.

2 Likes

Google disputed many of iVerifyā€™s claims in response to inquiries from Recorded Future News, explaining that the issue ā€œis not an Android platform nor Pixel vulnerability.ā€

Related thread: Debunking fake stock Pixel OS vulnerability from an EDR company

Cheers missed that. I guess this thread is not intenting to replicate the discussion on the news but letā€™s assess whether iVerify has actually some benefits to bring to the game. I donā€™t think so

Looking at the screenshot of the iPad app on the App Storeā€¦

At first glance, it looks like much of the actionable suggestions the app gives you are settings you should already have enabled (screen lock), or things you should already be cognizant of depending on your threat model (turning on airplane mode).

And all these suggestions can be found in the iOS Overview.

1 Like

Could just have been a checklist on our website :smiley:

4 Likes

It seems like this app just tells you some settings to change, and Iā€™m not sure that really justifies an entire app. The Showcase thing was also a non-event as as far as I know required physical access and is removed from future versions of Android anyway as itā€™s not used by Verizon anymore. So that basically means there isnā€™t a problem.

When it comes to privacy Iā€™m always a fan of only installing just what you need to do your work, and not random nag apps like this which donā€™t really do anything. Likewise, if it can be done in a browser without an app, then perhaps it should be.

4 Likes

I agree with your points. Similar guidance is available in Privacy Guidesā€™ recommended configurations for iOS or from various web-based sources, such as by The New Oil, which doesnā€™t necessitate downloading a whole app. Especially considering that the iVerify Basic app gathers diagnostic and usage data from users.

1 Like

Since this app doesnā€™t scan anymore, what about Certo? Is it reliable?

@Andrew1
proprietary spyware trash like everything else

7 Likes

Notably, MVT requires an additional device and time to perform a full system backup.

1 Like

In my experience making such exports is fairly quick. But depending on your model.

Sure it requires another device but that also makes it more reliable.

It is like Onavo all over again.

It was.

Disappointing that the mod (in this instance) was too eager to close the orginal thread (after having themselves derailed it with an offtopic comment) on iVerify.

Was that an off topic comment considering the nature of the discussion and news? Also, the thread was well and truly off topic at that point.

3 Likes

This change has not been completed.

@jonah sorry didnt know you still wanted to add something in. Please see my reply here ^

1 Like

Itā€™s less dependent on your model on iOS and more dependent on how much data you have, because it involves a full iTunes backup. It may be quicker on Android, but as we already note, it isnā€™t particularly useful for Android in the first place, so iOS is kind of the primary consideration here.

Itā€™s a matter of accessibility:

While i understand your point here. I do not like the set up of auditing on a single device and dont think it is a good idea generally.