ProtonVPN removed Secure Core from Linux GUI

Like the title says Proton has removed the Secure Core (Double Hop) option from their GUI in the latest update.

Found that out earlier today when I saw a update and not thinking it would remove the entire reason i bought it I updated.

Wished I didn’t. Can not even use old version as they removed it from their site.

Then tried the terminal commands. But no, that was now broken. Uninstalled and removed it all, tried to reinstall the commands but still a wreck.

They say they plan to bring it to Linux in the next few months. What. The. Hell. Why remove without any warning such a key feature? Or make their GUI look so ugly now?

Those issues and them not having any up to date audits is making me heavily question their reliability.

Their configs for OpenVPN still work thankfully and their guide is simple to use for it. Can not speak on Wireguard configs as I didnt use those but OpenVPN is good.

I used Ubuntu by the way so your own terminal commands on other distros might be different.

My advice? Either get get comfortable using a vastly broken down GUI and OpenVPN configs only if you enjoy using two servers with a VPN or go with Mullvad.

Downside to Mullvad is far lower amount of servers and countries to choose from. No countries not in Eyes really unlike ProtonVPN.

1 Like

You should probably try the Wireguard configs, much better (and more modern) than OpenVPN.

Doesn’t Wireguard have that logging IP issue on the server side? Not sure how Proton or others deal with it as each has their own take on it I think

It alao does not allow TCP which can help in certain cases. Unless thst was updated? Have not looked in to it for awhile.

Yes it tends to be faster and has much smaller code for those few of us who can understand it but both are equally secure at this time with no known exploits or vulns. Please correct me if I am wrong.

They had to rewrite the entire thing. And apparently theres only 2 devs working on it, so dont expect things to be added fast

Using a VPN provider’s own app is also a form of hating yourself.

I’ve honestly never really considered not using the app, but don’t have a good reason why… I assume your suggestion is to use the built-in VPN config settings? How come?

You are saying removing a core feature that people like myself paid for that they heavily advertised is a good thing then?

Instead of saying not pushing out a early version? Or hiring some more people to work on the code?

It being ugly is my icing on top, but the main warning for others which you seem to ignore.

2 Likes

Yes. If you are on Linux and want Secure Core access which is their multihop for better privacy as it uses two VPN servers instead of one.

Yes both servers are in different countries and can be in non Eyes such as Romania or Iceland.

If you do not use or do not mind losing a feature that they heavily advertised which had those like myself buy for then you are good to use their app.

Though them removing it like that alone without sufficient warning is a issue in itself.

“Oh hey you paid for this? No more, gone! Why? Because we won’t hire people in our multi million dollar business to fix our code. No, we will still advertise saying we have the feature and only say we don’t if you look in our website specifically for it.”

3 Likes

@anon4510900

yep it looks like it is actually an entirely new client
it’ll probably come back eventually:
old: GitHub - ProtonVPN/linux-app: Official ProtonVPN Linux app
new: GitHub - ProtonVPN/proton-vpn-gtk-app: Official ProtonVPN Linux app

“built-in VPN config settings” … I have no idea what kind of system you run on top of Linux so no, that’s not my suggestion. But whatever system you’re using, there are many provider-independent implementations of VPN protocols like WireGuard, different ways to configure / manage them etc. and one of them probably fits your use-case. I would use that, and then use it with my favorite VPN server provider. I don’t see why these two need to be linked. They probably shouldn’t. Same as just because I might choose mailbox.org as an email server provider, that doesn’t mean I would use their IMAP client necessarily. I might do so, if it’s really good, but chances are others would be better. Same with a VPN, I see no reason why all the 100s of VPN server providers need to develop their own app to ultimately provide the almost same functionality.

1 Like

FYI, it is now available: Introducing the new Proton VPN Linux app - Proton VPN Blog (The feature list in the blog includes Secure Core.)

2 Likes