Proton disappointments (and alternatives)

My gripe with Proton Pass is that aliases created with a paid account will cease to function if you stop paying for the service, and only the first 10 aliases will continue to work.

Compared to Simple Login which keeps all aliases working even after downgrading your service, this is pretty bad, and is the main reason I won’t be using aliases in Pass.

2 Likes

Not sure why is this bad? You pay for a service or you don’t? How can you expect a company to do things for free I honestly do not understand your complain.
If you want to avoid that you should use your own domains and no company can ever lock you out (besides the registrar). Don’t expect things to be done for you for free.

2 Likes

Skiff Mail provides 10 free aliases

1 Like

Proton Pass doesn’t support custom domains as far as I’m aware. If you want to use your aliases in Pass, you have to pay forever. You can export your passwords just fine, but your aliases are stuck with Pass, so this lock-in just seems predatory, especially when their related service Simple Login contrarily allows you to continue using all your aliases after ending your paid subscription (and also allows self-hosting and custom domains).

It’s a new and developing service, yes, but Pass aliases just seem inferior and predatory compared to SL, which makes it hard to pay for Pass in good conscience.

edit: I’m hoping for solid integration with Simple Login in the future, which may be what they have planned. But for what it is now, Pass aliases just seem daunting with the lock-in, and really aren’t worth using unless you’ll be a lasting proton user for their other services anyways in my eyes.

3 Likes

Any domains you add in SimpleLogin work within proton pass too, so that way it does support custom domains.

4 Likes

Oh, really? I wasn’t aware. I suppose you could then transfer your aliases over to SimpleLogin or a similar service then. They should advertise this more, as I didn’t see anything on the website indicating this functionality. This is a major plus for the service then.

The reason they do not advertise it as much is because all aliasses you create in Pass are visible in SL but not the other way around yet. That’s still in the works.

3 Likes

Proton takes that “MVP” thing way too literally.

Ahh I see. That makes it a lot clearer then, thank you.

I wonder what is the secure level of You Have Mail app ? I mean, you have to give the app your login, password and probably 2FA. This service seems convenient but it increase attack surface imho. I m worry you can t trust this small app to have the same security level than proton s infrastructure to protect user s logins and passwords.
But maybe i m wrong. Does someone have infos on this?
Thks

have you checked? dont they continue to work though simplelogin?

I wasn’t aware of the current unison between Pass and SL, but I had contacted Proton support recently, and they said,

"If you create more than 10 hide-my-email aliases and decide to downgrade your plan to the free Proton Pass, you will be able to use only the first 10 aliases, while the other ones will be disabled. "

1 Like

yes, Im aware of the 10 alias limit but, me not having created more than 10 to begin with, after creating them inside pass Im able to use them on simplelogin just like any other simple login alias. Me being on simplelogin free Im thus exceeding the free alias quota simplelogin normally has

Yes, I don’t think they’ve made it very clear how these two services are supposed to integrate with one another. I’m hoping they expand on that more in the future.