Introducing the Proton Mail desktop app

2 Likes

Tried it earlier, didn’t work at all after login.
Has anyone had better experience than me?

I’d rather have a Bridge for Android and the calendar, than a glorified PWA for Desktop.

4 Likes

I have Linux machine. Will probably try it out once they distribute it as a Flatpak on Flathub.

2 Likes

An update from Proton Support:

Mobile-friendly link:

1 Like

This is why the bridge and other mail clients are more powerful and flexible. It doesnt need the net to work all the time (only when sending and receiving).

2 Likes

@HauntSanctuary what email client are you using with Bridge? I’d love to use it but not sure of which client to use with it. I’m on Linux

Thunderbird is a great client IMO, I don’t use Proton, but if you are just looking for email client recommendations, Thunderbird is very good

3 Likes

proton mail bridge is amazing, especially to have all my emails offline, not to mention I can back them up in my preferred format through plug-ins in thunderbird.

I still do want there to be an desktop app, even if it’s just a wrapper for the web app.

1 Like

I mainly use Evolution. Its a nice set of features while minimizing eyesore while on a GNOME DE.

1 Like

And just to confirm, I do use Thunderbird with Proton Mail Bridge and it works well on the email side (Bridge not supporting calendar is a whole other issue).

1 Like

I had a bizarre experience with this app. I installed the beta, and it told me I need a paid account. I thought “OK, I’ll wait for it to leave beta”

It has now left beta, and I decided to start it again and after updating it tells me my “free trial” is over.

And here I was hoping this would be available for all to use.

I really dont undestand why they prioritized an electron desktop client over implementing calendar and contacts along with their bridging software. Its a facade for the normies :face_with_spiral_eyes: :thinking:

1 Like

Certainly is, because as a “normie”/layperson I have no idea what you are talking about.