Proton alternative recommendations

My use case

Mail: Proton and one tuta one of them is premium
I use custom domain so changing provider takes no time right now using proton as mail

Vpn: mulved
Drive: proton drive you can try nextcloud

Yes, ADP is compatible with Windows, but it is very inconvenient. For example, a trusted Apple device must stay connected via Bluetooth/WiFi to access iCloud data when ADP is used. Generally, the iCloud integration with Windows is very poor. My experiences in the past have led me to this conclusion, although it may reflect my personal perspective.

1 Like

Because NordPass has been audited by an independent cybersecurity and it was listed on privacytools (https://www.privacytools.io/secure-password-manager)
But why I didn’t chose Bitwarden, honestly I didn’t compare so I can’t answer

1 Like

The site where companies can pay for listings? :thinking:

8 Likes

I did’nt know that

2 Likes

Since yesterday evening I am trying to make Proton Pass work. I really tried but nope. It needs a lot of work to be a good password manager, but at this point I can’t even use it as a backup. 1Password will stay as my primary password manager.

Failing points.

• It is not importing everything. I skipped concerning about files and passkeys, but basic things are missing. For example, if you have two fields for login, like username and email, it skips email part. Not a fun thing to add them manually to hundreds of logins.
  • For credit card, you can’t add additional fields. I wanted add my Internet PIN code but it is not possible.
  • You can only copy standard fields, like username, password and OTP. If you added additional fields, like text or hidden key (password) you can’t copy it just by clicking on it.
  • It is not able to import ID entries, passports, driving licenses, bank accounts, SSH keys, software licenses.
  • Multiple selection is still not possible. Basic CTRL+A for example. Nope, not there.
  • Sync is not instant. Yesterday when I was creating passkeys I got a lot errors. It created one passkey on its own but threw error, then it saved passkey on my next attempt, but when I checked login entry I saw two entries of passkeys and on the website I saw only one passkey. That was on Google account page.
  • Password strength check. It says my 16 digit, random letter, number and symbol combination passwords are weak. Yeah…
  • No file storage within it.
1 Like

Proton Pass is still pretty new, so it needs some time to catch up. Proton Pass also didn’t receive 1 billion dollars in VC funding like 1Password did, which also makes it a lot harder.

What about they make it same level as Bitwarden or KeepassXC? Proton is not a new startup with 10k budget and 5 people, right?

I just installed KeepassXC to test my 1Password export file, and it even imported files within the logins. Only passkeys are missing, which is no longer important at this point. It also imported license keys, SSH keys, IDs with files, bank accounts and credit cards with all the fields intact.

2 Likes

KeePass was released 20 years ago, and KeePassXC is a fork of KeePass that was released 12 years ago.

Bitwarden has been around for 8 years and has received $100 million in VC funding.

Proton Pass was released a year ago and is fully user-funded without any VC funding. So it will take time to catch up.

That is the main point. They already have applications which they can check for features, also they are open-source. They are not inventing the wheel, they only needed to implement same or better features which are already available for a long time in the market.

Also, getting more funding doesn’t mean that they can do better. Proton already has 400ish employees and over 100 million accounts (Ref), and they are giving away millions of USD to charities and organizations every year. So, money is not the issue here.

1 Like

Well, you can take it from @Son, who is head of product for Proton Pass:

In total, they have distributed $2.7 million over all those years, so yeah.

2 Likes

400 employees is more than enough to do better and not deliver bananaware again and again.

4 Likes

Guess how many of these 400 are actual developers or engineers, and then guess how many of them are actually working on Proton Pass.

They’re also looking for three employees to work on Proton Pass, specifically: Career opportunities | Proton

The amount of criticism that Proton Pass gets while only being out for one year and being entirely user-funded just blows my mind. That’s not even considering that Proton Pass has unique features like unlimited built-in hide-my-email alliases.

It’s a problem with many of their apps, not just proton pass

3 Likes

From my perspective, Proton Pass remains significantly more useable compared to Proton Drive or Proton Calendar. However, it is essential to consider that Proton Pass has been available on the market for only about a year and is significantly less funded as @Lukas mentioned. Consequently, it cannot be expected to offer the same features as applications that have been developed and refined over the course of a decade. This disparity is understandable and acceptable. Nonetheless, it is reasonable to compare it to other services in terms of features, reliability, and pricing. Everyone is free to select the service that best meets his specific requirements.

We can be grateful that there are other well-established, privacy-respecting, and affordable password managers like Bitwarden or 1Password. In many (though not all) other software domains, opting for a privacy-focused alternative to well-established software often entails a substantial loss of features or convenience.

3 Likes

I think I will move to M365 Business. For myself I will get Business Premium, for wife and kid I will get Business Basic + Microsoft Defender for Office 365 (Plan 1). Password Manager will be 1Password. For photos I am thinking about moving from Google Photos to Ente but price of Ente is too high and I am not sure if it will worth it. If Ente team can match the price of Google One (2 TB) then I can move. I am paying 499 TRY (around 17,5 Euro) for Google One 2 TB.

I couldn’t find a replacement for SimpleLogin, most likely I will continue to use it. I checked addy.io but it didn’t seem be reliable compared to SL.

I also checked Google Workspace but many people are saying that it is good for collabration but good enough to replace MS Office suite, so MS seems to be better option here.

I asked Proton for refund for my remaining time, and also asked if refund is not possible would it be possible to add that money for usage of SL Premium. Let’s see what they are going to say.

Don’t get me wrong but I don’t believe you care that much about privacy.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I thought, but decided to just not say anything.

1 Like

Proton is privacy friendly, that is for sure, but apps need a lot more improvement. Even today, I received an email from a known airline company regarding to a feedback, and mail body was empty on my iPhone app. I was able to read it from Windows app. It wasn’t the first time that this was happening. Previously Proton was saying there is PGP encryption active between SL and Proton mails, that was why I wasn’t able to read some emails, but this one came directly to my mailbox without SL.

Privacy is needed, and a most welcome thing, but it shouldn’t hinder my daily tasks.

Even though I hate Microsoft, they seem to be most convenient and secure option. Plus business products are much more different than normal M365 personal products, including privacy and security settings. I know they are not as privacy friendly as Proton but still good (I think)

1 Like