Privacy on Streaming Boxes and "Smart TVs"

Update to this news,
In June 2021, Apple announced that it will no longer send Siri requests to its servers, but instead will process them at the device level.

If you read the study

Ive read the study but even the text you quoted says that google tv is privacy friendly and it only got a “warning” label because of their bad track record.
This also basically ignores the fact that Apple itself has a bad track record.
In terms of privacy this study simply is not in the slightest meaningful.

It is not a privacy-friendly list.

It definitely is, it lacks the warning triangle which Apples streaming box also doesnt have which is used on the site to mark the not privacy friendly streaming solution.

Update to this news

Youv’e got an excuse for every incident about privacy violation of Apple but just the sheer amount shows the are not trustworthy. They simply fail to stop their mistakes and do them over and over again. So even when one mistake is corrected the next one waits around the corner.

Just for anyone checking this and considering android TV box…

The author recommends

To avoid such risks, you can pick streaming devices from reputable vendors like Google Chromecast, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield, Amazon Fire TV, and Roku Stick.

Note: Installing custom OS will not resolve this as it seems malware are baked on the firmware level.

I propose the solution; instead of buying a TV, buy a projector - if you have wall space, and install a rock64, raspberry or equivalent with choice of OS. Then, we have control of the hardware and firmware, then it is just a matter of porting these tv apps.

What you think?

1 Like

Alternatively, one can just buy a Smart TV and never connect to the internet. I’ve read there are some TVs that fuss about it, but all of the ones I own and have interacted with work just fine without any net access.

Then you can use whatever streaming device you wish.

3 Likes

That’s what I do. My TV never had a chance. I use Apple TV as my top box.

tvOS 17 add support for VPN apps.

1 Like

That is great news! Curiously, I discovered a few weeks ago that you could get the same effect of a VPN on the AppleTV with a proxy like the ones Control+D provides, but this means you can now bypass geolocation without the extra cost (if you already have a VPN).

2 Likes

I used Android TV’s, boxes and Apple TV (first gen 4k). Apple TV is far better than any other Android device I used (performance-wise). I am currently using it with my ControlD DNS (installed as profile). VPN support is coming with the next tvOS update.

Only issue with ControlD is Disney Plus and Paramount streaming. They are awfully slow for some reason. NextDNS has no issues with them, and can be also installed as a profile into ATV.

1 Like

Does NextDNS work for bypass geoblocking or it is just adblocking?

Only adblocking. It doesn’t have redirect capability like Controld, but it is faster than Controld. It also has more 3rd party lists compared to Controld, and logging is much better on NextDNS.

6 posts were split to a new topic: What’s the best way to maximize privacy while streaming on an LG smart TV?

HDR and Chromecast do work

Im able to stream 4k prime video on a shield tv with Lineage so I guess it works

This was recently published and might be helpful to this discussion: Your Smart TV Knows What You’re Watching – The Markup

1 Like