Preinstalled software on a laptop (Kaspersky)

A friend got a new laptop and it came with windows and a pre-installed trial version of kaspersky and a yandex browser. I’m guessing that’s how all laptops come since she claims it was completely new. I wonder if it’s better to reinstall windows from scratch or just uninstall kaspersky/yandex.

What do you mean by “extra drivers”?

Sometimes extra drivers are recommended to be installed in order to improve hardware compatibility or access certain features of the hardware.

I think windows automatically detect all required drivers on a fresh install or at least that was the case for me when I did a fresh install from a usb drive.

Perhaps, its been a while since I used windows. According to this, there might be a few additional drivers to install such as for the graphics card

2 Likes

She is right, many laptop vendors add their crap software and antiviruses like McAfee.

Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind!

Does it imply that the laptop is compromised? I remember McAfee on my new laptops, but I just uninstalled them and moved on, but then I see this and wonder.

I see, thank you!

You can use one of the following commands to back up all the drivers before reinstalling.

dism /online /export-driver /destination: “Path of destination folder.”
pnputil /export-driver * “full path of folder”
2 Likes

Bloatware is not accepted. No matter how and what.
New computer = new installation
No matter whether Windows or Linux

1 Like

Yes. To install all of them back:

pnputil /add-driver “full path of folder\*.inf” /subdirs /install /reboot​