Other "secure" operating systems

OpenBSD, inb4 someone posts https://isopenbsdsecu.re/ it is quite outdated presentation from 2019 however, Mitigations | Is OpenBSD secure? is frequently updated. Privacy guide Solene'% : OpenBSD extreme privacy setup

There was a page from madaiden about OpenBSD security but it was removed as it was not meeting required quality of the website. A decent hardening guide.

FreeBSD? Security hardening guide.

Spectrum seems to be not ready at all?

Let me know guys your thoughts, and if you got other operating systems you want to share.

2 Likes

Im just going to repeat the opinion I’ve read on other tech forums. BSDs are secure, but purpose built. If you deviate from the “purpose”, you reduce security. On top of that, BSDs suffer from significant usability features.

But I guess if your use case is simple enough, maybe you could make it work? But these days people want a general use case for all their OSes.

5 Likes

since there’s only been 1 reply, I’ll be a bit controversial and say that Windows 11 Enterprise configured properly on (business) Surfaces and high end Dell Latitudes/Precisions is actually a pretty secure (general) OS, but isn’t super private

There’s nothing controversial about that claim. Windows is secure OS, especially if you are aware about it and use it properly. Similar is with Mac OS. But as you mentioned, privacy is an issue. And also annoying features and changes they constatly make

4 Likes

Yes, even Chrome is secure. More than Brave if you tweak it. But no one would claim it’s private.

Would you mind explaining the claim of Chrome being more secure than Brave if tweaked correctly? Or linking a source?

1 Like

He can’t, because it’s not true.

Im thinking about this.

The only reason I can think of is that Chrome is more upstream than Brave? But is that true or is Chromium even more upstream than Chrome?

It has advanced protection for safe browsing.

That doesn’t seem to be enough to justify Chrome > Brave. Also, wouldn’t you also be able to get the benefits if you used Google Search on Brave while signed in with a google account that’s enrolled in the advanced protection program?

1 Like

Why did my post got flagged?

I don’t think that some badness enumeration is enough to say that Chrome is more secure than Brave.

1 Like

:100: I was just saying that sometimes some software can be secure yet a privacy nightmare.

1 Like

That’s indeed true, but you said that Chrome is more secure than Brave:

2 Likes

Pretty sure he got red pilled by read ungoogled-chromium

1 Like

The problem I ran into with OpenBSD is that there are barely any apps available for it… It’s probably better to use something like a popular Linux distro so you get more App choices

OpenBSD isn’t meant for desktop usage.

1 Like

Chrome is not upstream of Brave

That’s not what @HauntSanctuary said.

1 Like

Even if OpenBSD and FreeBSD could be more secure than Linux, Windows or macOS, they still have much more primitive hardware support than even Linux, so it’s probably best to not recommend it to newbies on P.G.

@pinkandwhite makes a good point too, but as she mentions Windows isn’t super private.

You’re probably better off hardening Linux for security.

1 Like