Nebula as a YouTube alternative

This was recommended purely because it could be used without JavaScript, and directly, (not odysee), but with the client. It was possible to shift coin to LBRY tokens, from say Monero and then they could be sold while maintaining user privacy.

It’s also worth noting at the time that LBRY was added it was “big enough” that a lot of YouTube creators were actually mirroring content on there, which was part of the initial motivation to add it in the first place.

As they’ve ceased operations we’re not recommending that anymore. There is unlikely to be any further development, and any that is done will be a fork.

While there may be some privacy there in terms of policy, I think it would be nice if you could pay a year ahead and use a cryptocurrency to do that.

There are plenty payment for product models or subscription models to services which don’t sell your data, but I don’t really think it makes them notable enough to be added to the site by itself. As the page doesn’t exist anymore that would literally just be a advertisement for this one particular service.

What I would be curious about is if we can create a page with a collection of services, with decent privacy policies, and form a criteria around that.

Open ended means ambiguous in the context of a privacy policy, which is not a good thing. I think what you mean to say is that is clear and doesn’t include legalese to increase ambiguity.

Youtube frontends would never be added to that page as they are just frontends.

The main reason we don’t add PeerTube, is because while it is a federated service, there is nothing stopping a particular instance from profiling usage, or doing whatever they want. Many do not even publish a privacy policy.

1 Like