Moving away from Apple Photos

So after many, many years of keeping my photos in separate folders, I moved them all to Apple Photos a couple of years ago, and it’s a pretty good tool to mix albums with chronological ordering, etc. I like it.

However, I am growing increasingly annoyed with Apple’s walled garden approach and want to move away from apple apps (and macos for most things).

What are your recommendations to move away from Apple Photos? I read a bit about PhotoPrism and Immich, but am not sure what to choose.

My use case is as follows: I basically have a looooot of pictures on my laptop and on an external hard-drive. I don’t need them accessible on my phone or anything, I’m fine with having them just at home. I could copy them on a drive attached to my pi, and back them up on the external hard drive. I can also have them on Proton drive, that could be a good option if available.

Basically what matters to me is the ability to manage photos, albums, metadata, etc. (what Apple Photos does, pretty much). Any recommendations?

1 Like

You can try out Ente Photos. It has been specifically made for storing photos and videos, all with syncing via an account. They have a free plan of 5GB, It’s all open-source and E2EE, you can’t go wrong with that option, try it out!

We already recommend that service in Privacy Guides btw.

1 Like

Please check our website, before asking a question. We already have curated recommendations:

Thanks. I have been using Ente a little. But I have to say that I am not suuuper eager to pay for an extra service where the core point (sync between devices) is not what I am looking for. I don’t mind if it’s only available at home. And i have between 200 and 300Gb of pictures. I’m more interested in things like smart folders, face recognition, etc. More practical things, I guess. Does that make sense?

Ente offers all of that.

That’s the first thing I did. But then I read discussions on the forum that weren’t so positive about PhotoPrism, about it being stuck in development, about Immich being better, but also being under active development, so I’m asking what people use.

If you know what you are doing and you can self host and do not mind the lacking E2EE you can use PhotoPrism as described on the webstie otherwise use Ente for your usecase. Stringle does not offer the features you are looking for.

But honeslty just test out yourself and decide wuat what works well for you.

Point taken. If using PhotoPrism, can I draw the picture from ProtonDrive? If so, that would make them available with E2EE, no?

As in using proton drive as storage location for photoprism? No you cannot. Even if you manage in some strange way it will be very hacky and i doubt a good experience.

I’ll be posting some Apple information soon that I’m hopeful will help you! I’ll shoot you a PM before I post the final version on the public forum.