Looking for privacy feeds, podcasts, etc recommendations!

I hate these kinds of lists where everybody just vomits out a bunch of items without adding any information, e.g., why they find find them useful or enjoyable.

It is feels kind of like deciding to write a blog article about your 10 favorite books in 2023 listing only the titles and nothing else.

Merry Christmas everybody! :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

ok. then why even make a comment? Do you typically go through forums and comment on every post you donā€™t like? Not trying to be rude, I just donā€™t see how this adds anything to the conversation, especially since you did not offer any sort of suggestion yourself.

I feel like you fundamentally misunderstood the point of the post. I asked people to list out suggestions so they did. The reason a list was created was for my own benefit, so i am not scrolling through 20+ comments to review what was said.

Happy Holidays :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I only do that during Christmas which is a time when miracles can happen! :santa:

On a serious note, I disagree. I think that adding even a tiny bit more information would make this list 10x more useful. Why do you like it? What kind of topics are covered? Would you recommend this podcast to your mom? And so on.

Just image if a group of friends sat around a campfire and asked each other about their favorite songs and theyā€™d only list them: ā€œmineā€™s The Beatles - Let It Beā€, ā€œI like AC/DC - Thunderstruckā€ā€¦ No comments about the voice, emotion, instruments or any discussions. That doesnā€™t really happen in real life. Why do it here thenā€¦

P.S. Forgot to make a suggestion. Mineā€™s ā€œThe Privacy, Security, & OSINT Show by Michael Bazzellā€.

Just kidding. Iā€™ll take the lead on this then.

This podcast was my favorite. The episodes were usually 30-60 min long. In each episode, Michael often covered some news stories from the privacy realm, then talked about some privacy or security topic and often gave some OSINT tips at the end, e.g., finding information online about someone, using data breaches etc. His topics ranged from simple to extreme. He was working in the field for quite a long time, so he had lots of experience and great tips. Sometimes it was as simple as changing your iOS settings to make your phone more private, sometimes it went as far as Linux, GrapheneOS, private payments using masked cards, VoIP telephony, faraday bags, hosting data on your own server, shopping without using your real name and even buying housing this way. In addition, Michael is a funny guy and despite of his own extreme privacy lifestyle, he had a balanced view of the topics always emphasizing the importance each personā€™s threat model.

Unfortunately, not too long ago a mysterious episode got released where it was just some music playing for a couple of minutes. After then, nothing! Then all episodes suddenly disappeared. This caused all kinds of conspiracies in the community of what might have happened. Some said Michael got arrested after trying to acquire a citizenship in a different country and heā€™s in prison. Some said it was the government that took him down because he started sharing too much. In the end, he started blogging once in a while and explained he wasnā€™t interested to do the podcast anymore and that he decided to quit cold turkey. Or thatā€™s what THEY want you to believeā€¦!

I liked the last episodes where he started to talk a lot about self hosting. One of the episodes was as simple as downloading offline maps or information from Wikipedia or medical websites, kind of like making a backup for a time when you might be forced to be without an internet connection.

Note that the podcast is gone and itā€™s been removed from different podcast sites. However, I happened to save the last ~30 episodes from my mobile phone. If anyone is interested, let me know and we could come up with a way to share them.

I canā€™t see that this has been mentioned yet:

https://watchmanprivacy.com/

I quite like the podcast.

2 Likes

I almost forgot there is also Your Undivided Attention Podcast from the minds behind Netflixā€™s The Social Dillema:

Not strictly about privacy and security but discussions about tech in general and the designs it uses to exploit and overcome humanity.

@Parish2555 just to clarify with regards to the Open Source Security Podcast they arent about reddit but about the perspective of ex-RedHat IT admins on open source and security and how it intersects with reality and end users.

One the host works for ElasticSearch and the other host is on the board of Mitre (IIRC) who manages the list of CVEs.

1 Like

@HauntSanctuary yeah makes sense. I was more replying in response to what @anon28734771 said but I appreciate the clarification. Also thanks for these other suggestions!

I have all 305 including a deleted episode.

I checked many podcasts recommended here but most of them are biased and not so reliable. Not all but many interviews are just rambling for over an hour which could be less than 10 min read article. Hard to fine the good one.

2 Likes

Michaelā€™s podcast was the only one I enjoyed.

The information was bang-on and Micheal is one of the few people who can speak, unscripted, while still sounding intelligent.

I just canā€™t listen to anyone who uses ā€œlikeā€ ā€œummā€ ā€œahā€ and ā€œyou knowā€ frequently.

4 Likes

@4us and @anon85295620 it sounds like blog or article formats maybe more suitable for you two. A lot of those podcasts also have websites with well thought out articles and blog posts that still may be of value to you even if the podcast itself is not.

3 Likes

Hahahaha, I absolutely agree. Itā€™s a shame that Michael has stopped with the podcast. At least, he remains active on his blog. But well, I wish him and his company the best. I donā€™t know him personally, and I couldnā€™t care less about who is behind the name. But the guy changed my way of seeing the cyber world and adding privacy to my life. So, Iā€™m grateful.

1 Like

Hi everyone. Based on this thread, I have started building my own RSS feed, in fact my first. I now have 26 sources, and I believe itā€™s now worth sharing. I will directly share the file (OPML) Proton Drive

If interested, can manually share the sources.