LocalSend

Share files to nearby devices. Free, open-source, cross-platform. Unlike Snapdrop and Pairdrop that requires internet connection for the page to load, it doesn’t require internet connection at all. LocalSend also consumes no data at all Does this app consume data of the internet provider? · localsend/localsend · Discussion #552 · GitHub.

Basically, just works with no issues, many users report problems when using programs like KDEconnect which is more than just filesharing and kinda bloated.

Adding it for File Sharing and Sync - Privacy Guides, file sharing section would be great!

https://localsend.org/#/

5 Likes

Also is this a bad thing?

If you download app , you won’t require internet. If you use web version obviously you will require internet. I did’t understand this argument.

If you use web version obviously you will require internet

You mean PWA. But as far as I know if the websites goes offline like the case with Snapdrop right now you can’t use it.

I mean the app on the playstore and fdroid. Its a copy left i guess ,so many devs have build the app and released it.

Actually Snapdrop and Pairdrop requires Internet and the remote server to function. It needed the remote server to kick-start the P2P connection between devices.

According to the FAQ:

It uses a P2P connection if WebRTC is supported by the browser. WebRTC needs a Signaling Server, but it is only used to establish a connection and is not involved in the file transfer.

I wouldn’t recommend LocalSend, as you’ll have to allow port 53317 if you have firewall enabled. Otherwise, this thing wouldn’t work at all.

If you want to share files locally, securely, and at maximum speed, I recommend Warpinator. Especially, if you’re on Linux, Warp works the best with beautiful UI. On Android, I use Wormhole. It’s plain simple, and doesn’t require me to poke my firewall. It also works both ways, locally - extremely high speed through direct transfer without using the internet, and over the internet.

1 Like

Warp gitlab says

An internet connection is required and The best transfer method will be determined using the “Magic Wormhole” protocol which includes local network transfer if possible.

Magic Wormhole uses a public relay server to send data from one computer to another. This means that the data goes through a third party server before reaching its destination. This server is responsible for the initial handshake and the exchange of keys for encrypting the data.

Does it consume data from ISP?

Also Known Vulnerabilities — Magic-Wormhole 0.13.0+26.g88f7548.dirty documentation

2 Likes

The transferred data itself doesn’t consume data from ISP. The internet is only required for the initial handshake, thus the internet is needed for the warp to work.

I also tested LocalSend again with my firewall port 53317 opened. The app works as expected.

Edit: It was my mistake. Because my phone was on VPN, so sharing from my phone’s hotspot didn’t work. Now, everything works as expected with LocalSend.

2 Likes

I use kdeconnect as my main internal network transfer, if that is playing up I go to local send. Warpinator always had trouble setting it up, but today I had another go and got it to work.

1 Like

Perfect app