Is china really a HUGE nightmare for privacy enthusiasts?

Yes, meets other parts of the criteria.

I emailed them not too long ago, it’s happening, probably due soon.

2 Likes

Both are good for different reasons.

An audit by cryptography professionals can check to see whether the method of encryption is actually sound. Source code is also important because it is helpful to be able to see the actual implementation.

What we say though is source code isn’t everything, because if nobody really looks at the source because the project is obscure and has minimal external interest a backdoor or known vulnerability could remain without detection.

In the case of Cryptomator that meets both open source and having an audit, but requires you to find somewhere to host your data (which can be any provider).

Yes then you can use Rclone to sync to other providers. There are usability compromises however. This may be an option depending on what kind of data you plan on storing there. If it’s photos Ente or Stingle might be a better option because they do the encryption in the browser.

Likely government would come to you for the password. There is nothing Tresorit can do to bypass that even if they wanted to. That’s the nature of E2EE.

Any provider will really do then with Cryptomator as you won’t be necessarily able to open all of those in your browser.

privacyguides.org is indeed blocked in China, it is probably the first country to do so.

1 Like

I seem to remember someone saying Azerbaijan had blocked us :laughing:

(You’ll have to trust me on this one)
Github is not banned in China, but it is rather limited. High rates limit, and sometimes it wouldn’t work if you input url directly. Go in bing or baidu and put Github.
But with an account, it is crazy fast. Remember that Github is Microsoft owned and Microsoft is present in China. Thankfully though we haven’t seen a censored github.cn. The Chinese alternative is gitee.io which surprisingly give no results when searching for VPN.

1 Like

Do Windscribe even meet the criteria of >

Public-facing leadership or ownership ?

I haven’t found any info about that on their website>

Yes, and I’ve chatted with some of those people via email. @yegor is even on this very forum.

More of the team can be seen at https://wellfound.com/company/windscribe/people

Do we know if people who has studied in China will be on a list by the US, potentially (probably not) being blacklisted to work in US related supply chain?

Do you intend to work for a US-based corporation in the future or just locally in your SEA country?

They should add it to their website, as when I searches 12069 Windscribe Limited, I had no result.