iOS Browser and ad blocker

I read the PG guide for iOS recommended browsers and ad-blockers.
I understand that All iOS browsers use WebKit but I wanted to ask, why is using Safari with Adguard more recommended than using Brave for example on iOS ?

Also, when using adguard is it recommended to enable the extension itself or just use the content blockers that doesn’t have permission to access websites you visit ?

3 Likes
1 Like

I use Brave on iOS because the adblocker was better than Adguard and you get all of Brave’s privacy/fingerprinting protection. Now if you look at PrivacyTests.org you’re not getting much more than stock Safari in terms of privacy.

3 Likes

This looks awesome, but it is not FOSS, which is a bummer. Will test it though. I really like Safari, so you can put PWA on the home screen. Something Brave doesn’t do.

1 Like

Looks nice, but it requires some website permissions, content blockers doesn’t, also it seems like they collect some information from the app.

2 Likes

iOS content blockers do need website permissions to do their jobs, e.g. inject JS into a website.
But yeah, that theoretically enables them to do bad stuff™, too.

3 Likes

I have had the exact same question for a while now. Why is this?

1 Like

Redundancy ig.

I think the idea is that it requires you to trust fewer third parties.

1 Like

I didn’t know that, thanks

But isn’t Brave Browser open source ?

1 Like

Trust fewer third parties + far more generic fingerprint. There’s no bigger crowd to blend in with than Safari on iPhone.

Just a quick tip : use Private Mode in safari. As shown by privacytests.org, it does have significant privacy improvements over normal mode.

2 Likes

I tried Hyperweb for a while but just couldn’t gel with it. Now I’m pretty settled with a combination or Safari’s Private Browsing, DNS filtering* and a couple of extensions from Underpass App Company (https://underpassapp.com/) called StopTheMadness Pro and StopTheScript. For my needs, this cocktail works well enough for browsing on my iPad.

*either NextDNS or IVPN’s AntiTracker, depending on whether I’m tunneling or not.

1 Like