If I am using Proton Drive do I even need Cryptomator?

Setting up two-step login can permanently lock you out of your Bitwarden account. A recovery code allows you to access your account in the event that you can no longer use your normal two-step login provider (example: you lose your device). Bitwarden support will not be able to assist you if you lose access to your account. We recommend you write down or print the recovery code and keep it in a safe place.

Privacy Guides recommends:

You should store an encrypted backup of your passwords on multiple storage devices or a cloud storage provider. This can help you access your passwords if something happens to your primary device or the service you are using.

What type of file should I put my recovery code in (e.g., a .txt file)? What should I use to encrypt it, for it to be placed on Proton Drive?

I watched this video and figured it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SglSj7EzyIE. I used a .txt file and encrypted it with Cryptomator, which made a vault on my cloud storage folder. My new question is if I am using Proton Drive do I even need Cryptomator?

i would say you don’t NEED Cryptomator with proton drive. However having that extra level of protection can’t hurt imo.

Cryptomator comes is especially handy for very sensitive files that aren’t already encrypted in some other way prior to upload, or if uploading to an un-trusted cloud provider.

1 Like

How does Cryptomator add extra protection? Aren’t unencrypted files encrypted by Proton Drive?

Cryptomator would create an encrypted volume for you. This encrypted volume would contain the sensitive file unencrypted. That encrypted volume would then be uploaded to proton drive, and the only thing proton drive would be able to see is that encrypted volume.

Please do correct me if i am wrong on any of this i haven’t messed around with Cryptomator in a year or so.

Essentially Cryptomator would be providing protection form the cloud provider, (in this case Proton). Because when a cloud provider encrypts things they have the keys, and could decrypt your files for various reasons (warrants, ransomware etc…).

tools like Cryptomator encrypt the file(s) on device, so only the person with that device (knowledge of the encryption password) would be able to decrypt the volume’s contents.

2 Likes

Explanation sounds excellent, thanks seize!