How to protect against spyware in Linux

Hi! I’m switching to degoogled Linux pcs and phone. With iOS a bac actor could easily spy via microphone and camera. And iOS also has crazy things like ghost spyware or Pegasus for pcs and phones. So now that I’m moving to degoogled Linux how can I better Protect my pc. Mostly I just need to install word and excel? Any help would be appreciated.
Also, I installed waydroid in my Linux phone to have some apps that I needed for work like Microsoft Authenticator. Thank you!… not worried about big corporations having my data but like a thief or crazy ex trying to spy.

1 Like

If your threat model is protecting against a thief or “crazy ex”, you should have stuck with an iPhone instead of switching to the most insecure mobile platform.

As for your computer, Madaidan and PrivSec should have some linux hardening guides.

3 Likes

You switched to the most insecure phone.

Microphone and camera access are well protected on iOS, contrary to non-Android Linux.

If you fear state-level threats like Pegasus, switch to GrapheneOS and QubesOS only. Simply running any Linux distro is not the right choice in this case.

Use a VM with a Windows guest OS.

Why not use a custom Android OS like GrapheneOS? Would be a much better choice in terms of security, privacy and comfort.

Depends on their capabilities.

Open Snitch is good for keeping an eye on services/software that are requesting internet access.