Basic smartphone - Spyware

Hi!
If you were to recommend a phone that could have basic apps like WhatsApp, twitter, mail… and so basic and primitive (I’m not technical some people call it I heard (preinstalled apps/spyware) ) that you wouldn’t need to worry about some advanced spyware on it what would you recommend. I have heard oneplus, murena, android go edition (like in Nokias with touch screen) … any ideas
Many thanks!

If it can run WA,Twitter it can run “advanced spyware”, too.

Get a used Pixel that still gets updates perhaps.

3 Likes

A Pixel with GrapheneOS. GOS has done extensive attack surface reduction so it’s your best bet against malware

4 Likes

Can you elaborate please? Are you perhaps referring to feature phones or “dumb phones” like the ones Nokia used to have way back then, without Android?

Yes, it does not need to be Nokia. I’m looking for any phone that would allow me somehow to use WhatsApp, Twitter… and for this phone to be somehow dumb enough to support that but not spyware. Any ideas?

Thank you for that link I appreciate it a lot! I see they also sell laptops which is also what I’m looking for many thanks. But I have another question. If I chose a phone from that website do I need to install one those operating systems you mentioned or they would come already with one of them?

My idea was to buy a Linux phone with kill switches (like pine phone) and install anbox to download twitter, WhatsApp. Is that a bad idea to get anbox on a Linux phone. My problem is not corporations collecting my data but a bad actor with spyware on my phone

The pine phone is by far not powerful enough to do something like that in a meaningful way.
Also this is a complicated thing to do even if it would work and since you said you are “not technical” you should probably stick with either stock Android (Pixels) or Graphene OS.

3 Likes

Ok thank you, if I were to choose the Motorola Moto G7 with e/OS you think there would be a chance someone could still access my mic, camera, etc without me noticing? I understand this phone is not very “advanced” to super such spyware like the ghost type or it still could like in iPhones? Any educated guess?

I could on the pine phone use WhatsApp and twitter web version too?

If you want a secure device - Linux on the Pine Phone is pretty much the exact opposite of that. It’s really a tinkering platform for enthusiasts.

1 Like

A) Ok thank you very much so I will
Go with a pixel 4a with graphene os running these apps in a sandboxed google play environment and that should help not having mic gps camera exploited all the time…
B) also with those laptops on the privacy shop is it a good idea if I install word and excel that shouldn’t be a problem for spyware?
Thank you!

Also I found this phone

It does not support whatsapp but I don’t know how good it is for spyware

These are the devices that Graphene OS currently support:

• Pixel 8a (akita)
  • Pixel 8 Pro (husky)
  • Pixel 8 (shiba)
  • Pixel Fold (felix)
  • Pixel Tablet (tangorpro)
  • Pixel 7a (lynx)
  • Pixel 7 Pro (cheetah)
  • Pixel 7 (panther)
  • Pixel 6a (bluejay)
  • Pixel 6 Pro (raven)
  • Pixel 6 (oriole)
  • Pixel 5a (barbet)

I would not get a Pixel 4a because you can no longer install Graphene on it. It may be a bad idea to buy a Pixel5a or Pixel 6a today because the software support is about to end in a few years.

Get at least the Pixel 7a.

2 Likes

If you have to use Pixel 4a or already have one and dont want to buy another phone, you can use DivestOS instead rather than /e/OS.

Flashing ROMs can get a bit complicated for the less tech inclined. I really would have you use something like an iPhone and reduce the risk of things going catastrophically wrong, completely ruining your new phone and wasting your money. Do take note that you void your warrantly when you flash a custom ROM on a new phone. I’ve paid Asus service center once to return it to a non-bricked state on a brand new phone.

We do not recommend microsoft products here because of the same spyware issues. If you have to use MS Office products, at least get a proper boxed copy.

1 Like

This highly depends on where you live. In EU you surely do not void warranty by doing that, although they might claim so. If you show them you know the law they usually back off, because they know it causes trouble for them. Note that rooting is a different thing if you actually use exploits to alter your phone.

2 Likes

note: DivestOS removes numerous proprietary carrier apps that may be necessary for select carriers. VoLTE didn’t automatically activate for AT&T in some areas and thus may not make calls.

This should fix that for many cases: 20.0: Switch to CarrierConfig2 from GrapheneOS · 4328ec6c65 - divested-mobile/divestos-build - Codeberg.org

1 Like

thanks, can this be done for Oneplus 5 / 5T?
and how to perform this? “Switch to CarrierConfig2 from GrapheneOS”

@jonny-freeman
assuming no issues in my testing the next few weeks, it’ll be available for all 20.0+ devices in the July update

2 Likes