How is my tone?

I learn through spirited discussion (constructive debate). Particularly with complex technical and/or philosophical topics, I think that a lot can be learned through discourse. If I disagree with something, I usually try to state it clearly but respectfully and get the other person to explain their point of view or defend their argument (and I do with my own) with the hope that one or both of us can learn in the process.

However it is really hard to consistently communicate tone online. So my approach does run the risk of seeming aggressive or adversarial which is never what I am setting out to me. The way I see it, we are all here to learn and to improve our knowledge, as well as help others as best we can. Drilling down on differences of opinion is a good way to do so if it is approached in good faith. But I am self conscious about accidentally offending someone or coming across as overly adversarial.

Please know that I invite everyone to challenge my thinking, always, so long as it is respectful and constructive, please know my knowledge and my perspective is always evolving, and please know I want to be told I am wrong if I am wrong, and want to be told if I am overlooking or misunderstanding something. LIke most of us, I am wrong more than I would care to admit :slight_smile:

My goal is never to argue, always to discuss or debate constructively, and hopefully learn from that. If something I write reads as aggressive or overbearing please tell me, and I’ll try to do better.

5 Likes

This will sound silly but it works wonders.

Anytime your not sure of your tone but are not trying to be aggressive, just add a happy face to the end :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hey, I think your posts are generally well behaved. You seem like a good community member.

I sort of gave up on tone :sweat_smile: and these are the kinds of statements that emojis are useful for. Do try to incorporate these emojis when you can to convey emotions (even though it feels like giving me cancer :face_with_spiral_eyes: :laughing: :sweat_smile:).

I still wish we have that Grammarly to tone-check posts but we have what we have and I’d rather give money to OSS projects than them. I dont know if LanguageTools can do these kinds of checks as well. All of us should have our own privacy focused LLMs to process these kinds of things. It is still in my to do list of to study/learn. If I get around to it, I’ll go post something here, maybe a thread/guide or so but most of you folks are probably more technically inclined than me.

1 Like