GrapheneOS Vs LineageOS

Hey

Why should I use grapheneOS over something like lineageOS? What’s the appeal? I just feel like spending a little under 500€ for a 7a with eh specs is not justifiable when I can get really any other phone for lineageOS.

1 Like

The main draw of grabbing a pixel phone to run GOS is the security benefits which can help with privacy too. There’s many lists elsewhere including on the GOS site itself listing those out. I guess you also get better cameras than the average phone that runs lineage (iirc samsung breaks camera things on custom OSes?) but it’s still a phone camera at the end of the day.

1 Like

You can easily install Google Camera on GrapheneOS and don’t even need Play Services for it to get the same.image quality as on stock OS

1 Like

Yeah, every phone camera is too small to get the zomg amazing shots without copious amounts of post-processing. As sha123 said, you can get that processing with gcam and no play services

Discussed several times

Best simple answer is here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivacyGuides/comments/yhqf8a/calyxos_vs_grapheneos_vs_eos_vs_lineageos_which/

TLDR: LineageOS does not come with security nor privacy features like GrapheneOS. This ain’t the open source guides.

2 Likes

For absolute security, graphene would hands down win

But imho, for most people it’s not necessary. I think for most people, especially those with lower budget, lineage would be good enough. There’s also a more hardened fork of Lineage called DivestOS. That’s what you should probably get if you want good security without paying for a relatively expensive pixel