GrapheneOS + Insular = Get PlayServices to work

Hello!

I got a Pixel Fold and immediately installed GrapheneOS on it as I come from main’ing LineageOS 4 MicroG for 3ish years now.

While looking for a way to sandbox certain apps, I ran into this post, and this this community: Reddit - Dive into anything

Also via Nostr, I was made aware of Insular: Akito: #F-Droid #OpenSource #FOSS #FLOSS #FreeSoftware ...

These two together seem like an amazing fit and so I have proceeded to move Twitter and Instagram over and added Tiktok - letting them all just hang out in their little box over there.

However, it seems that none of them have access to Play Services. Not that this is a big problem, but a little bit unfortunate. So I wanted to know if you guys had any idea how I could get that to work?

The idea is that I would like to isolate those spying apps away. I do use the services, but I would much prefer for them to live in a corner. Yes, a webapp would be an idea, but I find them clunky and inconvenient - so Insular seems like a good use-case for this.

Thanks in advance, and have a great day! ^-^

You should read through the GrapheneOS features overview and usage guide. I do not personally use multiple profiles, but I believe Insular is redundant for your use case.

On GrapheneOS Play Services is a user app. That’s why it isn’t installed in your work profile by default. To give those apps access to Play Services, you need to install Google Play Services in the work profile.

1 Like