Entry Node, Accessibility, Usability, Extensions and other questions

1. Tor Overview and The Entry Node

I was able to extract from this site that there can be up to three predefined guard loops, and two more.

A quick test proved the three jumps in the guard nodes.

Additional information on the Tor Overview page could help new users not to be startled when encountering this situation.

1. Usability and adherence to recommendations (Firefox and Brave translate)

Can translating web pages harm the fingerprint?
Even if the answer is “yes”, I open the debate:

The average user resists switching browsers because they need to translate pages.

Looking for and changing a particular setting can be a headache, even with instructions.

So, keeping in mind the average Internet user in various countries, at various levels of digital education…

Accessibility, Usability

Some people are interested in privacy, but reject changing their tools for accessibility/usability reasons.

I recommend adding a note about the existence of the translation extension, produced by Firefox, which translates pages locally, unlike Brave, which sends its translations to the cloud, even if you remove the IP.

I also recommend adding a note to Brave, about its ability to translate pages privately, removing the IP address from each request.

Example of a (potential) privacy threat of send the words to translate to the cloud:
Translating a page that contains your name and email address can potentially decrease your privacy.

In both situations there is a potential privacy gain over the use of the G00gle Browser/Translate.

2.1. Additional background:

Firefox allows offline translation of locally available websites.
An added benefit for people with limited data, Kiwix users, and those seeking privacy.
(I discovered Kiwix thanks to the forum and releases of the GitHub. Thanks!)

1. Order of desktop browser recommendations

In this circumstance, Firefox’s local translation offer can be considered a vote in favor of Firefox over the order of the browser recommendations.

1. User base

Knowing that Firefox offers the ability to translate pages has the potential to convince users to use this browser.

The same goes for Brave.

About Firefox, increasing its user base is an important gain for the Mozilla organization, and for the browser’s development potential, with more web pages being adapted to it.

In any case, it is a gain for privacy.

1. Additional suggestions

Find and replace jargon from certain languages with simpler words that retain their meaning.

Example, on Desktop Browsers, Mullvad Browser:
… out of the box.

1. That’s it: Great job, this is a great community!!!

Are you sure? They switched from 3 to 1 in 2014: Switch to one guard per client (#12206) · Issues · Legacy / Trac · GitLab

I know that they were thinking about switching from 1 to 2 last year, but I’m not sure if they ever actually did and I can’t find any information about that with a quick search.

Consensus health shows NumEntryGuards=1.

guards are at 2 now

Yes. Two that always alternate with each other, and an additional one that rarely appears, but exists.

In addition, the link I mentioned is also the first one available at the footnote of Tor Overview.

I was personally confused about what information is correct, and whether I was under a possible attack. I believe the same can happen to new readers who may personally experience this situation.