Discuss Forum over onion address

It would be nice if this forum could be accessed over TOR via a .onion address. Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

This is planned. We will have Tor hidden service addresses set up for all of our websites by the end of this week.

6 Likes

Awesome news. I’d heart the post, but for some reason I can’t find that button here. Is hearting posts not possible in anonymous mode?

I would assume but no idea tbh

Is there an onion adress to access this discourse forum over the tor network with a .onion adress?

I tried just some minutes ago, but when I accessed the forum in the Tor browser, with the setting to redirect to the website’s respective onion adress if available enabled, I was kept with the clear net forum.

Considering the Jonah response to the initial question:

I don’t know how to cross text in Discourse, sorry Jonah.

Did the team members behind privacy guides change their minds? If yes, why?

discuss.6xotdxvg7pexnean3xu6b7ivs7g52zcwsdbnz4mdm4byivc3yfv65aid.onion works, but we do not have it enabled by default because it is not fully tested.

2 Likes

It just works :+1:

1 Like

We probably won’t make it default regardless, because we don’t want to discourage/break FIDO2 2FA or Passkeys. If you break your account authentication using that domain, we can’t help you. It’s probably suitable for just reading the forum though :+1:

You can access any privacyguides.net subdomain at [subdomain].6xotdxvg7pexnean3xu6b7ivs7g52zcwsdbnz4mdm4byivc3yfv65aid.onion and any privacyguides.org subdomain at [subdomain].xoe4vn5uwdztif6goazfbmogh6wh5jc4up35bqdflu6bkdc5cas5vjqd.onion

…but the only onion site we’ve tested and support is http://www.xoe4vn5uwdztif6goazfbmogh6wh5jc4up35bqdflu6bkdc5cas5vjqd.onion

3 Likes

Really?! Great news!!