Changing ownership of app on standard user to admin on MacOS

Some apps expect to be running under the admin user in order to be able to self-update like Brave, Standard Notes and Signal.

I am running as a standard user and the constant prompts every time these apps wanted to update annoyed me so I decided to change their ownership so they are able to run as admin.

Does this basically invalidate the point of me using a standard user? If so, what solution should I take to fix the issue of the constant admin prompts.

Firstly, I would like to be clear on how you

Could you please let me know which version of macOS you are currently using?

It seems that you have chosen not to upgrade to Sequoia. In my personal opinion, which is entirely subjective, I believe that upgrading is a personal choice.

However, I am open to discussing this with anyone who is willing to enter into a debate on the merits of upgrading, even before all the bugs have been fixed.

Thats entirely true, but with upgrading, you get all the latest security fixes (among other things), so its highly adviseable to upgrade.

@duck generally its not wise to give app admin access just because it asked to. Meaning without verificating of why it wanted admin access. Prompts are here for a reason.
In fact, many apps (the one you mentioned) can be installed the way that admin access is not needed. By AppStore. When installing via AS, there is such thing as Temporary Sudo and will never ask for admin creds (would use KeyChain instead)

Unfortunately, a non-Mac version will be installed from AppStore.

This app is available for iPhone and iPad.(AppStore)

In my personal opinion, this is an issue.

Standard Notes has a native app for macOS (Apple Silicon) (armX64)

If we are discussing only Sequoia, that is not entirely accurate.
On the release date of Sequoia, a Sonoma update was made that addressed numerous security fixes.

However, if we are discussing only root control and a few other robust Sequoia upgrades, that is accurate.

1 Like

It is worth noting that Apple recommends installing the latest version of MacOS.

Furthermore, Apple indicates that the most recent version for September 18, is 15.0, also known as Sequoia.

Not sure why you think that. I am currently on Sequoia.

The apps are not available on the App store.

Pretty sure the native app will also require admin privileges to allow the app to auto-update.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Unfortunately, your response did not address the initial question I posed.

Sequoia will “trim” permissiveness to an installed application. It is important to exercise caution when granting root rights without proper control, as it could lead to unintended consequences.

On a different note, I would like to congratulate you on the update. How do you like 15.0?

I personally dislike the number 14, but it is a matter of personal preference.

Can you explain more or link to further reading?

Solid update. No complaints.

Downloading the application (I tried with Brave) to the user Applications directory fixes this issue and does not prompt me for administrator access.

link
Please search for the keyword “root”
You will also find other topics.

1 Like