Changes in Brave cookie settings and new script blocking feature

The new and changed settings below were not documented in the browser or announced on the official Brave blog. I did not notice them myself until I was setting up a new profile. However, they were documented and tracked in this detailed and illustrative issue on Brave’s GitHub repository.

New place for managing cookies (affects current recommendation!)

Old setting for sanitizing on close

Settings > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data > Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows

New, less intuitive setting

Settings > Privacy and security > Sites and Shields Settings > Click on the 'Additional content settings' toggle > On-device site data > Delete data sites have saved to your device when you close all windows.

Context regarding this change provided by the GitHub issue:

Cookies UI design is changed as part of CR121, In the CR121 build there is no “Block all” cookies settings in brave://settings/cookies, Also the setting Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows is removed as part of chromium 121

New script un/blocking features

The browser now has a new feature that allows you to see the specific scripts Brave has blocked if you toggled the Block scripts switch either globally or per-site. When browsing a site, they also offer the option to temporarily unblock specific scripts or allow them all.

Pictures showcasing the feature (downloaded from the GitHub issue)

^ This view is shown after you click on the indigo number next to the Block scripts toggle.

Any setting that unblocked scripts are cleared once the tab is closed.

3 Likes
1 Like

really dislike this change but it is what it is