Thanks, I knew there was a tweet like this floating around somewhere, but couldn’t remember/find it when I made that last post.
This issue seems to have persisted into the full initial release of Brave Origin:
This is the “Data collection” subheading of the “Privacy and Security” page of Brave Origin’s settings upon first boot.
And this is a screenshot of the same page after starting Brave Origin for the second time.
Note that I did disable the “daily usage ping” before restarting the browser, but I still think it is odd that the “daily usage ping” option is enabled by default and disappears after disabling it.[1]
Someone else, or myself at a later date I suppose, will have to test if the “daily usage ping” toggle still disappears on second boot even if the user never disabled it. ↩︎
The irony of a “bloat‑free” version causing more discussion than the “bloated” one is peak privacy‑forum energy… we really can’t have a quiet launch around here, can we? ![]()
They are live
You posted the same link as a few posts above
This has been the case since nightly, and I doubt it’s accidental given the circumstances.
Never seen an option literally “disappear” from the settings, left enabled and impossible to turn off. This is just nonsense.
Uninstall and reinstall it then?
*Uninstall and use a different browser that doesn’t do shady stuff like this.
You can already disable their bloat for free, even though it supposedly supports their business, but they want sixty bucks for a build that doesn’t have it compiled in. I prefer a clean build yes, but the value just isn’t there. A donation model would make more sense.
Update
I did get around to testing if the “daily usage ping” toggle still disappears on second boot even if the user never disabled it. I’ve left the results of this further testing below.
Since my previous post covered the case of a user disabling the “daily usage ping” toggle and then restarting the browser this post will cover a user not disabling the “daily usage ping” toggle before restarting the browser.
Brave Origin Stable
This is the “Data collection” subheading of the “Privacy and Security” page of Brave Origin’s settings upon first boot.
And this is a screenshot of the same page after starting Brave Origin for the second time.
Brave Origin Nightly
This is the “Data collection” subheading of the “Privacy and Security” page of Brave Origin’s settings upon first boot.
And this is a screenshot of the same page after starting Brave Origin for the second time.
Closing thoughts
I think this quote from my previous post with a slight modification (in brackets) sums up the situation pretty well.
I did find this forum thread on the Brave community forum discussing the same issue but it looks like not much progress has been made there yet. Perhaps I should add some of this data to the conversation there as well. ![]()
My guess is that they’re following the market for tech bros to make this seem like a premium product. Tech bros just use the same free browser as poors? So lame.
I decided to reach out on the Brave community forum as well: here
Another user pointed to This comment by anonymous479 which demonstrated how to find/modify the “daily usage ping” toggle via the configuration variable reporting_enabled in the ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Origin{-Nightly}/Local Statefile.
Quoting from my reply to that user’s post:
That’s why I use free stuff; I don’t even bother following “trends”.
It looks like the issue which I have been discussing here with the “daily usage ping” has been fixed.
Is it worth paying $60 for???
Wouldn’t it be better to disable as many features in the regular Brave and save the $60 for something else???
I mean its free on Linux so I am using it. I wouldn’t pay for it tho. I can debloat it easily. I guess its just for diehard brave fans who want to support the project
Unfortunately, I have not seen any independent builds of Brave or Brave Origin. The main issue here is that even though Brave is theoretically open source, people are clearly encouraged to run the binaries packaged by Brave. I won’t be running Brave until a mainstream Linux distro builds and packages the debloated browser independently; until then, Brave is effectively a closed source, proprietary program that cannot be trusted.
I personally like the web browser so far, to use the ‘Brave Origin’ standalone and stable version daily since it has been released for free on GNU/Linux.
I probably wouldn’t pay if it were on proprietary operating systems, like most commenters discussed here, at the cost of CA$80 (that’s too much on my local currency after conversion from USD)… ![]()
So far, I thought I might miss the Speedreader feature for reading articles, but I increasingly shift that to the Tor Browser instead.






