Backing up data on an increasingly important phone

I upgraded my Pixel 3 to Android 12 shortly after I got it in May. The device is EOL, and the last security update was in October 2021. I know that I can use this device in the meantime, but it’s going to have some important data on it related to job applications and FAFSA.

Files between computers can be synced encrypted with Syncthing, and desktops can be backed up with borgbackup.

What solution exists for Android phones to avoid data loss?

Seedvault is not it.

This is a classic problem with Android, there just aren’t great backup solutions compared to other platforms. Apps can opt out of backups, which it seems like many do, so there isn’t a perfect solution without using root access (which is not recommended, to be clear).

Using adb backup or Seedvault is probably the most complete you will get. I’ll also note that you can sync files and folders on Android with Syncthing as well, which might work for you if you’re already using it on your computer.

For backing up your phone you can use adb backup, see e.g. How to fully backup and restore your Android device without root

I know that I can use this device in the meantime, but it’s going to have some important data on it related to job applications and FAFSA.

From a security point of view you should not use a device that does not get security updates anymore, especially not for “important” data. Even after only a few months of no updates your device has dozens/hundreds of vulnerabilities.

1 Like