Amnezia

Amnezia, which appears to be a “generic” client intended to be used with a self-hosted VPN server. It supports a variety of protocols IKEv2, OpenVPN w Shadowsocks and Wireguard and is fairly well documented and obviously open source.

It could be useful in cases where someone wants to set up their own VPN server but also wants a nice client with a unified behavior.

Looks very well designed at least from a cursory look.

In the context of VPS, would you recommend this as well or is this more for self hosting in homelabs?

It looks as if it’s meant to be used with a VPS/private VPN provider. The purpose of this seems to be aimed at people who simply can’t use commercial VPN providers because they’re all IP banned.

Hence the focus on self hosting, and DPI mitigation.

1 Like

So basically the modern version of Outline VPN.

What do we know about these Privacy Accelerator people?

2 Likes

For that they should ideally use something like V2RAY/XRAY with Hiddify

ooo, very interesting projects, didn’t know they were the ones developing https://selfprivacy.org/

I also think if we review these things they should make up a part of

Not the main VPN page, because that has specific criteria on auditing, which is likely to never happen or be applicable to self hosted applications. They do largely use Wireguard/OpenVPN protocols underneath.

I would also like someone to test these at least in some way before we consider recommending them.

1 Like

How does it compare to tailscale?

1 Like

Tailscale as more aimed at people wanting to connect to their network. This has more of a focus on DPI avoidance and a server for just routing your traffic in censored areas.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a close practical experiment comparing the two.

3 Likes

You can think of Hiddify as an aggregator. It is simply a frontend to manage the underlying protocols with ease without delving into too much technical steps.

When it comes to China and Iran at least, protocols keep getting patched very fast, and new protocols keep getting developed at an exponential rate, so Hiddify creates VPN configs for all of the available protocols at that time, allowing the user to switch between various configs with ease.

Indeed, this method proves to be useful as many users are able to bypass restrictions, and avoid DPI.

Last I read china/iran is basically the same system.

Connecting to any random port number from the outside world on any server inside of Iran (passing the GFI) is almost always followed by a port probe on that specific port from an IP address belonging to China.

So not surprised.

Yeah pretty much. These days people have success by hiding behind CF CDN because blocking CF would break like a quarter of the sites, and they connect via websockets or with some TLS magic I don’t fully understand, and it has a generic looking website. Basically what it does is, it appears as if the user is visiting a normal website, but in fact, is a facade while the actual user bypasses the firewall. As the site uses CF CDN, the IP is that of CF’s and origin is masked. At the moment though, China/Iran are disconnecting the user and blocking the site if a user connects for too much time :confused:

Sounds like hell. :people_hugging:

I think we don’t all value in the “free world” how much having free internet is.

1 Like