Alternatives to GrapheneOS (BDS)

Hi Everyone :slight_smile:

This needs not an immediate solution; I am the current owner of an iPhone that I plan to use for a bit longer.

In light of the recent partnership between Motorola and GrapheneOS, I am left stuck as I as an organizer for Palestine, and try to avoid companies complicit in the genocide of Palestinians where I can (I am not perfect). Motorola, turns out, happens to be one such company.

Unfortunate. I was the previous owner of a Pixel with GrapheneOS and really enjoyed using it.

In lieu of this, does this really mean my best option is my flipping iPhone? Obviously I am out of the streets a lot, and want to make sure that carrying something that is more-or-less not destroying my privacy as I do so. However, my general threat-model is just to avoid big tech surveillance.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Pixel 10 series is still available and supported until 2032/2033, no need to buy Motorola if you need GrapheneOS but I’m not sure google is doing better than Motorola in that regard.

Motorola Mobility (Lenovo) is an entirely different company from Motorola Solutions. Motorola Mobility doesn’t have anything to do with that.

Why cant you still use it?

You can just buy the phones secondhand and you won’t be supporting the company. If you’re organizing and potentially facing Cellebrite, GrapheneOS is the only operating system that really puts up a fight.

An iPhone isn’t a bad choice at all but they are much more vulnerable to forensics tools like Cellebrite than GrapheneOS is.

Oh. Well literally perfect then LMAO.

@fria For other consumer goods that I face this issue with: I will also keep this in mind :slight_smile: