After qubes, what's second to best

What about Kicksecure or Whonix (based on kicksecure apparently)?

I hate to say this, but if regular linux distros aren’t secure enough for you, you don’t want to use MacOS, and you’re not tech savvy…perhaps you should use Windows, but take as many measures to protect your privacy while using it as you can.

1 Like

Thanks for replying.

I am a bit tech savvy, I just won’t be able to do a lot of troubleshooting. Whonix is not usable for a daily driver.

I’ve never heard of kicksecure, I’ll have to search them.

Thanks

Uses X11 and the base distro (Debian) is not the greatest. I would only recommend Whonix if you strive for anonymity and Tor usage.

By default, MacOS is for sure more secure than your average Linux distro.

1 Like

yep. i know. but op doesnt want to use it. that quote wasnt the complete sentence

1 Like

What will you be using the laptop for, @Tziyoni?

I was in a similar situation and discovered that the best way to get around this issue is to compartmentalize: personal web browsing on GOS, development on laptop. This was the best option between very difficult to use Qubes and bad, bad Linux desktop security (worse than Windows, MacOS). The mobile experience is infinitely easier to manage and at the same time the most secure. The only security feature that any Linux distro (other than Qubes, Whonix) offers is fast updates, and for that you can just refer to PG’s recommendations.

From a Whonix security researcher: Linux | Madaidan's Insecurities
Security and Privacy Advice | Madaidan's Insecurities

Thank you! But I use the laptop for personal browsing and many other things all the time. I don’t have a choice when it comes to that okay

Maybe an immutable distro would be the realistic answer, Fedora Silverblue or something like that. It would be ever so slightly better than the rest.

Also Madaidan uses Linux despite his advice (About Us | PrivSec - A practical approach to Privacy and Security) so uh yeah.

I’ll check this out, thank you so much!