Add 2FAS (Authenticator App)

I think @RimaS is referring to Data Linked to You, not Diagnostics.

Does that claim have any evidence to back it up? Because on their policy they have this:

I think only the things I grouped in number 1 are the ones that are related to the account.

1 Like

That claim you can easily verify yourself by checking the network activety or look at the source code of the app which is open source btw.

All stuff besides maybe the crash reports will be connected to your account/identity. That simply is necessary, any service will do so.

You can use the app fully without internet access.
The crash reports is a toggle directly in the side menu. I would recommend you to have a look for yourself.

IP addresses will always be collected that is how the internet works. If any service tells you they do not use ipadresses they are lying. What is more interesting is the retention of that data.

None of this is worrying at all, rather just transparent as they should. This to me is just all the things they will need to offer the service to you. It all makes a lot of sense.

2 Likes

I too moved from Raivo to 2FAS. I had looked at Ente but, at the time, the requirements of having a 3rd party user account was a no-go for me.
I have both Proton and 1password as subs, but still prefer to keep my 2FA as a separate app.

While I wish that 2FAS was using whatever mechanism is available in ios API to E2EE, I still rather rely on icloud backup (also a lot more convenient when swaping devices) and have my backups there than use a 3rd party account to sync “somewhere” my E2EE 2FA backup. This is just me but at the moment I don’t see a reason to move over to ENTE except if 2FAS suddenly does something very bad.

4 Likes

You do not need an account for Ente?

1 Like

I know you do not need an account to use the app, however, as I wrote in my message, you do need one if you want to E2EE backup, which I would rather do vial iCloud than a 3rd party.

Sure, but 2FAS doesn’t let you do E2EE backups via iCloud either, that’s the entire problem with it :laughing:

2 Likes

I normally started to use Ente, but if you want to use E2EE cloud backups, you still need another 2FA from another source. You cannot use security keys with Ente. So, what is the point of E2EE cloud backups of all your 2FA codes? I find it useless.

If you still wanna use 2FAS, you can disable cloud backups and manually backup your secrets. That’s why i am planning to migrate from Ente to 2FAS when I find sometime.

It’s a pity that PG rejected 2FAS, just because you need to deactivate iCloud option.

Why don’t you just do this with ente Auth? :thinking:

1 Like

You are right. But after Raivo, I couldn’t get used to the Ente’s UI. 2FAS seems better looking to me.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Is there an iOS authenticator app which doesn’t phone home?

The only privacy info in the app store for 2FAS is in regards to crash collection. Which seems to be pretty common. If you disable that, I think it is pretty good in regards to collected data.

As for backups, as I had said, and this is my personal opinion and for my usage type, I rather have it “not as good encrypted” in iCloud than E2EE on a 3rd party cloud (Ente) requiring a login and not having real clarity where my data is and that company.

For all people that like and prefer 2FAS, I would highly suggests, like I did to push a suggestion for them to implement proper E2EE encryption on iCloud (like Raivo had). They are generally pretty opened to the community.

I feel you. Raivo was so damn good :pensive:

I can’t stand Ente’s UI. It’s so damn ugly. I know most people will say: it’s an MFA app, visuals don’t matter!

For me, they do. It’s part of the experience, especially on iOS. My only complaint about 2FAS (aside from the encryption) is the lack of showing/exporting QR codes (like Raivo did).

2 Likes

Actually, it can export codes, but I think it is on .2fas format. Still, you can open it with any app you open a json file.

1 Like

Yes, but it exports in json format only (which is good for moving into other apps), but I wanted the QR codes it selves, so that I can import only a few.

Raivo generates an HTML page with the QR codes inside.

1 Like

I have experienced 2FAS and quite like its interface. Syncing via Google Drive also makes it more convenient. When I export the file for backup, it will be exported in two formats: .2fas or .json. The problem is when I try to import the .json file into Aegis, 4 out of 20 codes fail to display the name. Really dangerous and I ditched 2FAS to go back to Aegis

2 Likes

Keep in mind that2FAS is discussed instead of Raivo on iOS. I checked it long time ago that yes, import/export was a bit problematic.

1 Like

Currently, 2FAS users are no different than being tied to that app. Quite dangerous

3 Likes