Accessibility on PrivacyGuides.org

I believe we should start our effort in increasing the accessibility of privacyguides.org for disabled people.

Following the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 , the site should be way more friendly to people who, for example, are blind.

Things to think about are making it possible to navigate the site completely with nothing more then a keyboard, and making sure all images have an alt text to make sure no context is missed for people who cannot see them.

I have gone ahead and used the following site to see how we are currently doing: Accessibility Test | Results

We are not doing to bad, but there is still much to be done :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is something I’ve been interested in for a long time, which was one of the reasons I originally suggested mkdocs-material, having said that though, some of these might be able to be fixed without too much difficulty.

By using a framework like that, we can spend more time on content, as opposed to developing the presentation.

Likely significant changes in this area will require upstream’s help.

3 Likes

Upstream might be interested in it as being accessible is often an requirement for governmental organisations.

2 Likes

I agree, totally worth the investigation.

The dutch government uses https://www.readspeaker.com/
might be good to look into.

1 Like

Checklist - The A11Y Project found this very handy site with a checklist, gonna look into this.

This could be useful as well: WAVE Report