Why you probably don't need a VPN | Do I need a VPN?

I really enjoyed this video, by Side of Burritos, about the benefits and limitations of VPN services. I think it’s a great resource, alongside the website’s upcoming changes on “When should/shouldn’t I use a VPN?”, and Josh does a great job at explaining the concepts! :+1:

He raises interesting points about trusting different parties, identifying points-of-failure, clarifying “VPNs make you more secure” marketing, and such.

8 Likes

Liked the video. Thanks for introducing me to this channel!

1 Like

It doesn’t highlight torrenting. Which is my main usage and need of a VPN.

You need a VPN to hide your ip address from threat actors or logging forums like mybb (PHP) or forums in general. Most forums have ip address logging and theres cases proof the feds can find you with only your ip address etc…

It doesn’t highlight torrenting. Which is my main usage and need of a VPN.

I think he does mention the BitTorrent protocol as an example use case for using a VPN provider. :smile:

You need a VPN to hide your ip address from threat actors or logging forums like mybb (PHP) or forums in general. Most forums have ip address logging and theres cases proof the feds can find you with only your ip address etc…

If your threat model includes attacks from state actors, then that sounds important. I’d expect that the IP address associated with your activity on online forums would be the least of your concerns, though. :sweat_smile: