Why is "IPfire" not recommended?

Hi

Why is “IPfire” not recommended here?

Is there any specific reason?

https://www.ipfire.org/features

1 Like

Ive heard of it and it is also open source IIRC, but I guess it is a lesser known or at least lesser used Linux based firewall distro. Most of the content in youtube are usually pfSense and OPNsense with the former being more popular.

IPfire runs on ARM.
The BSD based as far as I know NOT

Interesting indeed.

Category should be changed to site development.

Linux also can run on ARM

I think you are thinking / asking this question in the wrong direction.

PG recommendations are not made up of every tool so long as there isn’t a reason not to recommend it. A tool not being recommended by PG doesn’t necessarily mean it is not recommended (as in an anti-recommendation), it may just be unknown, out of scope, or not at the top of the list.

For something to be included, you need to ask and answer, the question: "why should tool xyz be recommended by PG

Linux also can run on ARM

IPfire is Linux

I haven’t used it personally apart from testing in a VM, but it was the runner up for me ~5 years ago when I was looking for a software firewall (I ended up choosing pfSense at th time. I was attracted to it because it was Linux based and I am more familiar with Linux than BSD. In the end I went with pfSense because it had a much larger and more active community and more resources and documentation. If I had to choose again today I’d probably be deciding between pfSense and OPNsense.