What is Your Private Phone setup?

They have pretty good UI, works without internet and allows you to edit map

Iā€™m now using AOSP on my Pixel 3 XL because I want yo use Android Auto.

I have a ā€œdummyā€ Google account only to use Play Store. Aurora Store doesnā€™t do automatic updates, and sometimes doesnā€™t work. I also have Obtainium for apps that are not on Play Store.

I use Brave as browser with sync enabled, Signal for messaging, DAVx5 with a Nextcloud account for contacts and tasks with Tasks.org app and Notesnook for notes.

Aldo Proton suite (Calendar, Drive and VPN) and Newpipe for videos.

Not 100% private, but really fits my needs.

Unfortunately, as most OSM based solutions, they dont have 90% of postal codes here in Portugal on record. Ive been using Magic Earth and it seems to be at least usable in that respect

You could try Notesnook. It is vert great : powerful and polished.
Quillpad is similar to Notally but better functionality and UI

1 Like

GrapheneOS on Pixel 7.
1 profile.
LTE-only. No 2G.
NFC Always off.
Timeouts for Wi-Fi ans Bluetooth.
Allow USB peripherals when unlocked only. Autoreboot 12h. Manuel reboot everyday. Attestation with Auditor

Apps (installed via Play Store when possible):

IVPN with AntiTracker (OISD Big list) without killswitch so I can pause when needed.
Action Dash for screen time. No internet access.
Authentificator Pro and Bitwarden (no accessibility and overlay)
Unitto Calculator
Breezy Weather
Feeder for the news.
Libretube
Organic Maps
Google Messages
Notesnook
Proton Calendar and Mail
Signal, WhatsApp
Spotify
Gboard, Google Translate, Speech services, Sandboxed Play Services.
Google Photos, Clock ans Camera without network.
Google Maps, Earth and recorder disabled.
Flip to shhhā€¦ app
And a few PWAs (Uber, Mastodon, ā€¦).

Switched from Vanadium to Brave today and I will keep Brave.
I review each apps permission but favor usability so I let gboard access internet to use the translate feature and the emoji kitchen for example.

In bold the apps I really like. Canā€™t recommend enough Unitto, Breezy, Notesnook and Feeder.

I also use Addy.io but donā€™t have the app.

I use a MacBook along my Pixel

GOS on Pixel 7
I use multiple profiles such as ones for Google, Driving, and Banking.

Favorite Apps (trying to list ones I donā€™t see as commonly mentioned):
QuickWeather - weather app
Voice - audiobooks player
Squawker (used to use Nitter) - Twitter/X frontend
Eternity - Infinity for Lemmy
AetherSX2 - PS2 emulator (not being developed anymore but works fantastically)
Sofascore - sports scores

Still Building but so far:

Pixel 7 Pro GrapheneOS 4G-Only

Browsing
Vanadium
Messenger
Signal (leaving WhatsApp as far as possible)
SMS
Google Messages
Gallery
Google Gallery
Dailer app
Google Phone
Clock
Google (without permissions)
Contacts
Google (too lazy to keep up on syncing)
Email
Proton Mail Plus
Email aliases
Mozmail
T-Online Freemail (Decent T&C)
VPN
iVPN
Calendar
Proton Unlimited
Security / PaƟwords
Bitwarden
Tracking Trackers
Exodus
Streaming / YouTube
Grayjay
Calculator
Unitto
Keyboard
Gboard (without permissions)

Deleting accounts where possible (where not Alias and obscure Adress etc) uninstalling apps one by one.
Trying to figure out how to import into notesnook etc.

Replacing apps with add to home screen

iPhone 15 Pro Max + AT&T w/5G turned off (LTE only). Considering moving to Efani.

-Calendar: Apple Calendar (until Proton updates iOS to show whole month view similar to android version)
-Music: Spotify (would love to switch to Apple Music but cannot stand the interface)
-Browser: Brave for Youtube and non-member websites/browsing. Safari for member websites and logins.
-Messenger: Signal, iMessage for sending uncompressed photos. Would love to use session more, but donā€™t know another human that uses it.
-Email 1: Proton for close friends/family only
-Email 2: Proton for financial and governmental correspondence
-Email 3: Skiff for simple login aliases and general usage
-VPN: Proton
-DNS: NextDNS
-Maps: Apple Maps, have dabbled in Magic Earth
-Cloud Storage: Proton Drive / iCloud Drive w/ADP
-Notes: Notesnook
-VOIP: MySudo
-2FA: 2FAS
-Password manger: Keeper
-Finance: Privacy.com for anything I want disassociated from my identity or anything that I suspect I may need to turn off/unsubscribe from.
-Weather: Windy (good lightning model and hyper-detailed wind analysis) and Accuweather

PWAs through Safari are used where possible.

Iā€™ve dabbled with Graphene on an old Pixel 4a5g and do like it. But I havenā€™t arrived at a comfort level yet where I feel that Graphene wonā€™t just roll up and evaporate one day. Iā€™ll move there some day, but not for a while. I am eyes wide open when it comeā€™s to Apples shortfalls and corporate ickyness. But for now itā€™s the best middle of the road solution.

1 Like

@FlipSid

Why?

@SkewedZeppelin
The programm more or less shows me when I download a app with low rep out of the playstore / F-Droidā€¦
Sort of a extra layer of protection.
Are there better ones or is it not necessary?

Very similar to you!

Iā€™m running a Pixel 7 Pro with GrapheneOS.

I use ProtonVPN with the kill switch enabled 24/7. I also have NextDNS setup, use Vanadium.

The apps I use daily include KeePassXC, Yubico Authenticator, ProtonDrive, ProtonMail, ProtonCalendar, Notesnook, and AntennaPod.

I try to use FOSS apps and APKs as much as possible, but I use F-droid and Aurora storer, too.

Thatā€™s a fair point, I worry about the longevity of GrapheneOS, too. I enjoy it while itā€™s here!

1 Like

I keep my note taking separated somewhat. For quick notes and/or shared (collaborative) notes such as grocery lists or to-dos, Iā€™m happy to use Apple notes. But for any notes that I want to be cross-platform, or any that I deem as sensitive will go into Notesnook. I used Standard Notes up until a couple months ago then replaced it with Notesnook. I like the interface better.

As for the PW manager, thatā€™s the one app Iā€™ve never found a reason to move on from. I signed up for it in 2017 or so itā€™s been great. I like Keeperā€™s interface, customer service, features, etc. Not necessarily more than say Bitwarden or 1Password, but Iā€™ve been happy overall. To my knowledge theyā€™re not open source but have been audited many times and have yet to be cracked. Iā€™d have to go hunt for the proof of that. I also kind of like that theyā€™re not one of the super well known offerings, but have had a steadfast presence. Seems to me that being super visible (i.e. Bitwarden) would make them an aspirational target for hackers to get entry into. Just a thought I had.

Thank you for posting a iOS setup! Which Windy app do you use? I see windy.app and windy.com

1 Like

Windy.com is the one I use. Doesnā€™t collect much data either. The ability to select which weather model you want to use (or compare) is super nice. It looks great in a desktop browser display too.

Currently using an EOL device (Galaxy J4 - Android 10), unfortunately. Applied some changes to decrease the risks:

• ProtonVPN with the kill switch activated.
  • Using mainly Obtainium to get my applications, but Aurora Store is installed for my bank and F-Droid Basic for FitoTrack.
  • No Google services, not even GMS (my device doesnā€™t support Google Play System Updates, it seems, so no reason for keeping it installed.)

Regarding the apps:

• Brave for accounts, Cromite for general browsing
  • Bitwarden
  • Signal
  • InnerTune, a YouTube Music application
  • FitoTrack
    • For tracking my walks and runs. Could use OpenTracks as well, but it doesnā€™t have a built-in map.
  • FlorisBoard
    • I donā€™t use suggestions, corrections or any kind of spell checker, so itā€™s usable for me.
  • Koler
  • Contact You
    • A contacts and SMS application. From the ā€œYou Appsā€ suite.
  • Fossify Gallery
    • A fork of the Simple Mobile Tools gallery app.

Web Apps:

• Proton Mail
  • SimpleLogin
  • Instagram
  • Piped
  • Lemmy (lemmy.one - running on Cromite)
  • Mastodon (mstdn.party - running on Cromite)

Thatā€™s pretty much it. Hope Iā€™ll be able to upgrade my device as soon as possible.

2 Likes

I use GrapheneOS + Pixel 6 Pro

GrapheneOS

• Owner profile + Google Services (sandboxed) enabled

• Push notifications

• Google Play + F-Droid to install apps

• Proton VPN 24/7 kill switch enabled

• Other security settingsā€¦

• Browser - Vanadium

• Password Manager - Proton Pass (I use BW about 4 years but now I move to PP) since PP autofill is works fine in Vanadium .

• Email, Calendar - Proton Suite (email aliases, custom domain)

• Cloud - Proto Drive & Koofr because of webdav support .

• Contacts - I backup to Proton drive manualy .

• Notes - Joplin + Webdav to my Koofr (encryption enabled , little bit slow sync but with no problem)

• RSS - Feeder

• Photos - Ente

• Gallery - Aves

• Google Maps (I donā€™t fine anithing better) I disable location when I donā€™t use it .

• Signal for private communications only two contacts :blush:

• WhatsApp I donā€™t like it but need because most of my contacts and people in general donā€™t care about privacy :frowning:

• PGP - Open Keychain

• Text Editor - Editor (from F-Droid)

• Music & Video - VLC

• YouTube - NewPipe

• Office - Collabora

• PDF - GOS Pdf editor and Xodo (free) basic edit .

• File manager - GOS default one

I have 2fa enabled , I use Yubikeys where is supported,
I inspect urlā€™s before open it . I use strong passwords generated by my password manager , I never reuse passwords. I do backups :floppy_disk:, at least following the 3.2.1 strategy .

I try to follow PrivacyGuides and recommendations about security and privacy stuff .

GrapheneOS on Pixel 7. 1 profile.
LTE-only. NFC Always off. Timeouts for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Autoreboot 12h + regular manual reboots.
Allow USB peripherals when unlocked only. Remote attestation with Auditor.

Apps (installed via Play Store when possible):

• IVPN with AntiTracker (OISD Big list) without killswitch so I can pause when needed.
  • Action Dash for screen time. No internet access.
  • Authentificator Pro and Bitwarden (no accessibility and overlay)
  • Unitto Calculator
  • Breezy Weather
  • Feeder for the news.
  • Organic Maps
  • Notesnook
  • Libretube
  • Proton Calendar and Mail
  • Signal, WhatsApp
  • Spotify
  • Gboard, Google Translate, Speech services, Sandboxed Play Services.
  • Google Photos, Clock and Camera without network.
  • Google Maps, Earth and recorder disabled.
  • Flip to shhhā€¦ app
  • And a few PWAs (Uber, Mastodon, ā€¦).
  • Switched from Vanadium to Brave today because of the sync features, the translator, the import/export bookmarks and the ā€œForget this tabā€ feature.

I review each apps permission but favor usability so I let Gboard access internet to use the translate feature + emoji kitchen.

I also use Addy.io and a MacBook.

PS: Yes, I am @TobiCat too :laughing::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do you use a different Proton account for Proton Pass? Canā€™t understand how you would be able to login to it when those credentials are inside your Proton account.

Hi, I use only one Proton account, for login I have backups where I store my passwords unencrypted in USB hardware encrypted driver . I also wrote down my Master Password on Emergency Sheet so the login is not problem .