Ubuntu --> Fedora?

Hi,
I have been switching between Ubuntu and Fedora for the last few months. I am still strugling to understand why is Fedora better than Ubuntu? While Fedora has 0 telemetry and Ubuntu has VERY tiny telemetry that is irrelevant, snaps are very good security wise. For example i don’t trust Brave 100% and when it is installed as a snap i can limit its permission very well. On Fedora however there is no official flatpak version, so i am forced to use rpm, which has full access to everything. So my question is why is Ubuntu bad again? I tried to find some old discussions about this topic, but since this is the new forum, i could not find this topic.

Hello, first you can use the Brave browser from the official flatpak repository:

Some or most of them are maintained directly by the developers of the appl so you get the latest updates, like in Firefox. You can install Firefox as RPM, Fedora flatpak OR official flatpak. The official flatpak is updated as soon as they release a new version so, FOR ME, it is a better option.

And Ubuntu is not bad at all, Canonical is. No one complains about Ubuntu as distro, ppl hates Canonical.

1 Like

Honestly I only have Brave in a VM just in the remote case I want to test a very specific… whatever. I use Firefox. But, Flatpak.org is a well know and trusted repository, I have used it for a very long time now and I have never had a problem.
Could someone inject some malicious software there? maybe, but just like in Google play or others…

You also can check the flatpak permissions with Flatseal, just in case there is something odd but again, I never had a problem with flapak and I use it A LOT.

2 Likes

It’s just a case of perfect being the enemy of good, it’s not Ubuntu being bad.

All the major Linux distributions are “good enough” for 99.99% of Linux user, who don’t need to worry about sophisticated attacks from government agencies.

2 Likes

Both Fedora and Ubuntu are maintained by corporations that seeks to profit from providing paid support to Ubuntu server and workstations deployments (for Canonical) and Fedora/Centos/RHEL server and desktop deployments (for RedHat). Both companies provide a great benefit to the greater open source community by providing jobs and improving the codebase for their respective OSes that will pretty much benefit everyone.

But the thing is, while RedHat mostly get things right, Canonical has been caught doing shenanigans that frequently earns the ire of the purists of the open source community and they are very vocal. Regardless, the concerns raised against Canonical usually have merits and the frequency of the incidence of these concerns does little to endear them to the open source community. Though recently, things seem quiet and their last notable shenanigans was forcing people to use snaps, notably the Firefox browser.

I like Ubuntu for my work environments, Fedora at home.

1 Like

Personally i prefer Fedora because it has better security then Ubuntu and is more up to date and in my exp much more stable. Ubuntu has also done some shady things like forcing Firefox to be a snap even when installed via apt. Ultimately its personal preference so its up to you what you deem as good features and whatnot.

1 Like

Don’t know if shady is the right word.

They wanted to use snap for security reasons, it’s not like there is some nefarious motive. The typical Ubuntu user isn’t a super user with decades of Linux experience, it does make some sense for force the change.

2 Likes

Fair point but it was also poorly implemented imo and i understand the security benefits but i also wish they would improve the startup performance otherwise i wouldn’t really care. Personally i don’t use Ubuntu anymore and i prefer flatpaks but that’s not relevant to this lol

1 Like