Too much people forget about notebooks

Still is in beta, everything can change but nothing mentioned there affected me directly and I am seeing they are working very hard on the app.
If they drop the project or something, I have everything back up as markdown so…

Try it, I had read this thread before installing it and I had some concerns, but… check it, it is amazing.

I tried AnyType a while back when it came out. I found it interesting but never went back to it. Have you read anything on their plans to monetize it in the future? Can’t believe it’s still free.

obsidian is not open source. But you can read the source code if you want to (it’s a web app). It’s the best note taking application by far. Like there is not even a competition right now.

edit:
I’ve used Joplin, Standart Notes, Notion, AnyType, Siyuan, Notesnook and many more. Obsidian is what i’ve always come back to. Notion has some benefits over obsidian in terms of functionality. Tables and folding being the biggest of them. But when it comes to privacy, customizability (themes and everything), plugin ecosystem, not being a vc invested company and that obsidian is just plain files, it’s just at a completely different level. I still use notesnook as a secondary app for some private notes but obsidian is just the champion in my book.
All notes are plain markdown and you can use any sync service you want. They don’t force you to use their sync service. Yeah I still do pay for supporting them but you don’t have to. (You can just use Syncthing)
Obsidian is just soo good and I’m happy that it exists!

Yes, but as far as I know… they still don’t know, they will think about it once they are about to launch the final release.

And honestly, I am using it at work and my personal life and i hate to sound like a fan boy, but it is helping me A LOT (i have my knowledge base, team task, tracking, calendar, meeting notes, documents, how tos, etc, in only one place) , so I think i will pay whatever they ask unless it was extremely ridiculous…
In fact, I am waiting the “Multiplayer” feature and the paid plans to get more storage an move all my team work into AnyType.

You can use local storage in AnyType, P2P sync natively between devices or host your own backup node. You can also export as markdown and it is open source, E2EE and way more privacy friendly. Why do you think Obsidian is better? Honest question here.

It is free, because it is still in Beta. If you use more than 1 GB, you need to contact support and upgrade. There will be more features such as collaboration or publish to web in the future as premium features, iirc.