Interesting research on this recent news article regarding Australia’s Medicare and OpenAI.
I have checked out the source and it seems legit and quite eye opening in light of the mainstream media coverage and the Australian government take on this event. I have not seen this reported anywhere else but it appears high on the search results, so must be gaining some traction.
Seems well researched. Editor of site has a long history with Australian tech publications so is very believable (IMHO of course).
I suspected that the Australian government was using this as an excuse to bring in even more government control of tech (quite a history there as some would know) and this seems to validate that suspicion.
And the article - The OpenAI “Hack” Of Australia’s Medicare That Wasn’t
Hopefully you find this as interesting as I did.
Short extract (TLDR) -
On 24 September 2026, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese revealed that an OpenAI AI agent had gained unauthorised access to a government Medicare statistics system on 18 June 2026.
The reported story: an agent researching public medicine spending was blocked from Australian data, “found a security workaround,” accessed non-public aggregate health statistics and internal file names, and wrote files to the server. No patient records were accessed.
…
“Security workaround” makes it sound like a break-in. The archived code tells a different story. Nobody picked a lock. The gate was open, and it had been open for over ten years.